Meatloaf Surprise (PIX)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
I was just looking at that cackle hatchery site, (this time i was ready for the rooster crow, but it scared the berjeebers out of my abyssinian), at the rare breeds, and seems each breed makes unique eggs.

Can it be you have unique eggs from chickens, with unique characteristics, densities and such? I saw one breed makes small very dark eggs, a couple lay colorful eggs, some make white eggs. Maybe there are other things besides color and size. Or, maybe it is just the freshness that lets them do that, or, maybe it's simply because they have not been driven around in a truck. Any of my guesses close?
Folks say that the fresher they are, the more trouble they have. But I've picked them up out of the nest and had lovely hardboiled eggs with dinner.
Maybe it's all the black oil sunflowers seeds.... Perhaps the inside of their egg shells are pre-greased? :gig The little egg really does just squirt right out. I get about half the shell off in one long apple peel sort of thing and have to be careful not to let the egg fall out of the other half.

Like seedcrazy, I peel them while still warm... wonder if that has anything to do with it???

Only the Shadow knows...............................

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't believe that any sort of additive (salt, soda, vinegar) needs to be added to the water to get eggs to peel easily.

I believe that the trick is taking them from boiling water into very COLD water is the trick. I've even been known to float ice in the rinse water in the summer, since our tap water is always warm between June-October.

The shock of the cold water makes the hot egg retract from the colder surface of the shell, pulling the white of the egg away from the shell, making peeling a snap.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Older eggs peel easier too since they have a bigger air pocket. If you first smack the egg on the counter big, round side first, it forces the air pocket up the sides which will also help separate the membrane. Those older eggs seem you can almost just tap and squeeze them and the shell slides right off!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Maybe those were some of the things my mother and sisters were doing while I was getting shushed out of the kitchen when I was a kid! :p

Mothers, never shush your sons out of the kitchen! Show them how to boil eggs and cook a chicken! Thank you :p
Marshall I never shushed my sons out of the kitchen. My oldest is probably a better cook than I am (certainly more adventurous!) and the younger one won't starve. :) Good thing #2 son can cook as his DW would rather not. :(

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep trying to get Hayley to post in here but she's being all shy about it. She says she's not much of a cook. I think she just needs some of you cute gardening chicks to show her the cooking stuff!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always age the eggs at least 2 weeks before boiling them. The older boiled eggs will peal wery eaily !

Latest posts