Milk as fertilizer

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Didn't know where to post this thread, but I was pouring out soured milk on my garden bed yesterday and I remembered reading an article--that I CAN'T find--about a cheese dairy. Their by-product is skim milk and they starting disposing of it on their cow's pasture grass. They said that the pastures are flourishing bc of this.
I thought you might like to know that if your gallon of milk goes bad, as often happens in the summertime, you should think about pouring it on your beds instead of down the drain. :D
Here is an article to read, not the same, but it explains better than I can about the benefits.
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/milk-fertilizer.htm

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for the compost too. When I was trying to jumpstart my pile I tossed a container of mushrooms and some old milk in a blender. Then poured the nasty grey soup into a bucket of warm water. The next day I dumped it on the pile and in no time it was cooking along. :D

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the start of Article it states raw or unpasteurized milk, then later on it states evaporated or powdered is fine aren't they pasteurized? Do you loose the benefits if its pasteurized?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know the powdered milk will work for the blossom end rot too. Not sure about soil microbes and all that. I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with ag lime and a gallon of water.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the benefit has to largely come from the sugars in the milk. the sugar shouldn't be affected by pasteurization. hmm.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Milk doesn't go bad at my house so I'll have to stick with epsom salts.

Latest posts