Milk From Goats Eating Poison Ivy

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I don't believe it. The toxins are consumed and I THINK can be transferred. Horses seem to love it, too, but I don't drink Their milk.
On another note, I spoke to an EMT who was in the ER with a person who burned the PI, and inhaled the fumes and had terrible lung damage.
I imagine that if you can get the goats OFF of the PI for a period of time it would be ok. I'm too careful to NOT be suspicious of this ONE study.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find it weird and disheartening that pests like poison ivy and chiggers have been so poorly studied and understood. If there were a big costly remedy that insurance companies could cash in on, we would have multiple thorough studies.

But I personally doubt if the milk would cause problems. Goats have been eating poison ivy for lots of years. Wouldn't it be common "farmer" knowledge if the urushiol carried through to the milk?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, it is said that if you are allergic to poison ivy or one of it's "friends" the goat milk is good for you. Every day, take the goat to eat poison ivy, milk the goat and drink the milk. It will, over time, greatly lessen the effect poison ivy has on you.

All I have to do is look at the stuff and I break out. I don't have a milk goat or I would try this. My horses also love the stuff @ducks4you but alas, I have 2 geldings and an ancient old mare who couldn't conjure up a milk bag at a Las Vegas magic show.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When i first bought the country house the property was completely over grown. The house was empty for years. My aunts visited soon after, aunt Van looked around and said you need a goat. Being a city boy I thought she was a crazy old Italian lady, years later now I want goats :lol::hu

Latest posts