Milk substitutes

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been drinking LOTS of real cows milk ( cow squeezeings) all of my life. About 2 weeks ago , we ran out of milk, so my wife purchased a quart of Silk ( made from coconut) as the store shelf was bare. To our surprise , my blood sugar dropped up to 100 points. So a milk substitute is very promising !!! I like lots of milk with my coffee as well as with serial and just a plain glass of milk . But the taste ...coffee tasted like watered down weak coffee and left a coconut aftertaste. So, my wife purchased a quart of the milk substitute made from Almonds. This too left coffee with a weak watered down taste. Next... original soy milk , taste test gives coffee a cup of coffee with a rich cream taste. But, there is a slight chalky aftertaste. The soy in coffee is better than the coffee creamer substitute powder similar to if you use 4x the recommended amount. So, has any similar experiences or recommendations.......... :caf

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
No experience other than I hate the taste of those milk substitutes. I also like milk in coffee and cereal. But life is often a trade-off. How much flavor are you willing to trade for 100 points? 100 points has to be worth something.

I think a lot of our preferences as far as flavor are learned preferences. That includes how you like your coffee to how hoppy you like your beer or even if you like beer. Maybe over time you can learn to like that stuff. My daughter-in-law likes a dash of cayenne pepper in her coffee. Perhaps you could experiment with adding other flavors to compensate. I don't know but it sounds like you may be onto something. Good luck sorting it out.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Being lactose intolerant, before it was even discovered, I like all the various substitutes. I prefer Lactose free milk, but I do like the almond milk and the soy milks. I prefer them without added sugar or flavors though. Mocha mix is tasty, but you'll need to check the carbs on it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i like about everything. used to make my own soy milk (it's not hard to do and once you have soy milk you can then go on and make tofu if you want). i think the others are also fairly easy to make if you have a good blender.

what would happen if you used cream instead of milk? the fat would certainly be there for the flavor/mouth feel, but you may then avoid a lot of the sugars from the milk itself. i eat a lot of whole milk yogurt, but i like things plain or on the sweet/sour side so i don't usually add sugar to it. once in a while i use homemade strawberry freezer jam and lemon juice because i really like that combination of flavors.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug... I have tried cream and half and half several years ago. The milk sugars convert to glucose easily which makes it not a candidate.
that is why 1-2% milk was my choice. The fats... well they make the belly grow way too much.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use the original soy milk. 1st Continent. It works for me, I am slightly lactose intolerant. Not a big milk drinker anyway but occasionally want some in cereal or coffee.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drink Silk unsweetened original flavor Almond milk. Once a parent gave me the sweeten one because her daughter didn't like it. It was too sweet for me and I threw it away. On the rare occasion that I drink coffee, I like to use half and half or cream. I never eat cereal so I don't need milk for that.

I have tried the coconut, and the combination one but didn't like it. Haven't tried the cashew one nor rice milk.

Mary

Latest posts