Mini bell peppers

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
anyone grow them? I have great success with banana and gypsy peppers. Bell peppers, I get some but they never bear like the other 2. Looking for a heavy bearing bell.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just going to mention those too @pjn !
I heard about them from some members here and am going to grow them this year. All the reviews say they're productive.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These might be the same thing with a different name: Yummy Mix Peppers

Burpee also sells them (by that name) but only has the orange variety as seeds - mixed as plants.

I only grew them one year and they produced very, very well. However ... DW wanted a larger sweet pepper. Italian sweets - including the sweet peppers with Caribbean names - are favorites with both of us. Giant Marconi is especially favored but it really doesn't produce very well in our garden. The plants make a couple of nice peppers. About the same is true with any of the bells that I've grown. Maybe King of the North does better but it isn't a favorite for the kitchen. Think "Yummy!"

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Appreciate all responses. Even on peppers in general. I've always wondered about the Marconi types. I grew them one year, thought I liked the flavor-kind of sweet?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kinda sweet.

What I especially like about the Giant Marconi (it's a hybrid) is that they are tender things.

They are real nice raw but with enough flavor as cooked.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I do. Didn't start them last year as I ran out of time. Have to find them for this year. Thanks again.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm planning on getting some of the Yankee's from Johnny's. i got some other, shorter season & better for the North varieties from FedCo recently. sweet peppers can be hit or miss in this area unless you have a greenhouse to get them started & then you got to keep them warm enough, which doesn't work unless our weather cooperates.

i got Gilboa, an orange sweet bell pepper, 66 days & hybrid. Flavorburst was substituted for Golden Star, another that should be orange fully ripe but takes 75 days, another hybrid. New Ace, 60 days & supposed to be red, hybrid but adapts to wacky weather here so thought i'd give a try. Peacework is open pollinated red bell takes about 65 days. Ladybell is green to red in about 68 days and hybrid. i also have on my Johnny's order Bianca, a ivory white sweet pepper that should take 65 days to white stage & 85 till red.

@seedcorn let me know if you are interested in a few seeds of some of these. i also just got Jaluv An Attitude, a OP jalapeno that can tolerate northern region temps.

Latest posts