Mint flowers attract FLIES!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last time I'll be letting the mint flower! Zillions of flies come off the flowers each time I walk by the stupid plant....What a gross pain in the butt!!!
Why did no one warn me??

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flies are just plain bad this year, but I have not noticed them on my mint. Strange.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
are ya sure there isn't something else there... like a dead frog or something..?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, they are all over the flowers, no where else on the plant. Solid black flies, medium house/biting black fly size.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds strange. Is there a way to post a good photo of them? Maybe take a few to your extension agent for a positive identification. I get all kinds of small pollinators on my mint but not common black flies.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While I've never seen any flies on my mint, I wanted to say that the flies go absolutely crazy for the lovage flowers here (they grow wild).

Maybe flies will turn to nectar when normal fly food is scarce?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never seen/heard of Lovage.

Sat and watched, there's a couple yellow/black ones and then a few tiny flies and then the bigger black flies.

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lovage is a perennial herb; the leaves taste a little like celery. I use them in stews and such if I don't have any real celery. They also are good medicinal plants- a dependable diuretic for the kidneys and gout, anti-spasmodic so good for menstrual cramps and gassy cramps,. A tea can be made by heating (don't boil) 2 teaspoons of chopped dried lovage in a cup of cold water. Strain and drink up to 2 cups a day
Lovage is also an excellent companion plant for everything in the garden except rhubarb (don't ask me how I know this)

Latest posts