Moles

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moles have invaded all of our yard as well as our neighbors yards , a State owned large drainage ditch behind our lots in a vengence. We have more mole hills than plants. Pest control wants $90 per mole that they trap. Can anyone recommend a sure fire method to premanently get rid of these PESTS ? :somad :smack :old:caf

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moles have invaded all of our yard as well as our neighbors yards , a State owned large drainage ditch behind our lots in a vengence. We have more mole hills than plants. Pest control wants $90 per mole that they trap. Can anyone recommend a sure fire method to premanently get rid of these PESTS ? :somad :smack :old:caf

there is no permanent method because they live in the area around where your yard is, so you can trap them to remove them but there is no permanent solution other than to trap them in all the yards around yours and then you'd need to trap them in all the yards around those and so on...

we use these kind of traps (Mole Eliminator) as they are fairly easy to set (figure out where the tunnel is, how deep, direction and make sure it is an active run):

i've also used a choker loop type of trap which also works but they are a b**ch to set.

we have moles here off and on, and they can be a challenge to trap only because we have so many decoratively mulched areas so i can't easily set a trap. if i can get the mole to come out into a garden as an active run i can usually trap it within a few days. sometimes i've set the trap and walked away and heard it go off.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob: I finally moved up your way. Brush P. The former owner left me his mole traps. They are EVERYWHERE here on the 2.5 acres. I'll let you know once I study and learn how to get rid of them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gopher poison is what the hay cutters around here use. They have a attachment to their tractor that cuts a furrow, dispenses poison grain and no more gophers. Might want to check at a feed store. Pour some down each mound and that should cut back on them. You can get milky spore, it is a treatment that causes grubs to shrivel up and die. The moles/gophers go after the grubs, the milky spore kills the grubs, no food for the moles and gophers. The milky spore does not harm earthworms.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I purchased 3 mole traps [tom cat] from Ace hardware that the prose use , one on eather side of the trigger mechanism ). [ the spreaders were too hard to use, since I have lost 68 lbs. since Jan 1]. I used 2 large C clamps [one on eather side of the trigger mechanism]. On the third morning ,[don't forget to release the safety after you set the trap in place] I trapped TWO MOLES !!!!!!!!! :ya :woot:thumbsup:old

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
One year we had the "Mole Man" tackle the problem in our yard. He used a trap similar to Flowerbug's, but he dug out the run to expose it right where he put the trap. Then he put a 5 gallon bucket over the top to keep out the light. The mole would use the run again and get caught by the trap. We had a lot of white buckets upended in our yard for a while.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
buckets are also useful to protect the trap from people or pets and the other good part is that it makes the traps easy to find when you want to go check them.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like your dialysis isn’t going very well. :(
I am glad you snockered two moles! Congratulations on that high accomplishment!
I have finally turned the corner with the dialysis as starting last week , I started to gain weight... up by 10 lbs. as of today ! :cool: I cheked my trapline this morning... another mole bit the dust ! :old

Latest posts