More cow manure questions

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a little worried about this. I took a hoe out there and it is pretty wet, maybe from weather and not fresh fresh, but lots of straw. I have got truckloads of horse or cow manure before and used in compost bins and let break down a long time. If I side dress kale, it will be a long time before I eat this, so I should not have to worry about bacteria, E. coli? I have to side dress what is already planted, but for the rest of the garden I am turning with a shovel, would it be best to turn this manure in and wait a couple weeks or so to plant? Turn it in and plant tomato and pepper plants without waiting? I have seeds to plant of squash, beans, cucumbers, would they benefit from it turned in the ground? Or would it be best to get the ground ready and side dress after planting? If I turn in the ground and it takes nitrogen out, what would be the best nitrogen fertilizer to add, and not a chemical fertilizer? I am worrying about nothing?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd leave it for next year and find something else. If nothing else, the mental stress isn't worth it. Also, that looks like pretty fresh cow pucky.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
GWR, can you use your existing compost and put the manure in the bins for 2022?

Small transplants have little need for fertilizer for the first few weeks. On the other hand, organic nutrients are not readily available for plants. The 18 month composting schedule that I used to maintain is a little long to wait.

High nitrogen from organic sources is limited. I can't bring myself to use bloodmeal again. It just doesn't seem personally safe to be handling it.

I was pleased to find Stutzman products at NW Seed the other day and bought some 4-3-2 LINK .

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can fit a lot of it in the bins. I think that is a good idea because this is going to be one big mess to plant in. Using the Stutzman products would be a better idea. I am wondering if when putting in the wheelbarrow to move it if there will be some broke down and I could make a pile of that. This looks more like something to take out to the field with a tractor to till in. Thank you.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For several years, their 3-2-2 composted chicken manure was my corn fertilizer of choice. It may not be better than some others of that nature but I would bet it is. I have even happily used it as a home compost addition if there were extra bags that would otherwise be smelling up the carport ;).

Their 8% N was good stuff. Then, it wasn't locally available. I have saved a bag for years and doled it out to potted plants. Contacting Stutzman about a local source just resulted in an offer by the distribution company by the pallet. Pallet! No, not gonna do it.

Steve

Latest posts