More than a little disappointed in my soil sample results.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
He said to never put the rabbit poop in the garden to compost it first. He said no to the grass clippings also. somthing about taking the nutrients from the plants to use in the decomposition process.
I do not think those things are good advice, they sound like they come from someone who is half-remembering a book they read once rather than someone who really knows what he's talking about from experience and thorough knowledge. If it were me, I would take anything he says with a BIG grain of salt.

Rabbit poo is fine, in reasonable amounts, put directly on the garden. (Not other kinds of poo, however)

Grass clippings are fine too, in thin layers. Incorporating DEAD DRY grass or wood shavings or whatnot into the soil can produce temporary nitrogen deficiency, but putting FRESH grass clippings in will not, nor (normally) will just laying those things on top of the soil rather than mixing them in.

It is true that if you are continuing to amend your soil, and have already amended it with things that will take a while to break down and sort themselves out, that a soil analysis will just be a 'snapshot' of this moment in time and not necessarily the same by next spring... but I don't see any reason not to DO a soil analysis, just have to remember the context when thinking about its results.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Pat. I will continue to add to my beds in hopes of reaching the ultimate goal. I usually take my advice from here nd everywhere else. I try to do what work best for me or easiest. Like yesterday I read all the previous post in cover crops. We got some good stuff iin the archives.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I did one of these Lowe's kits last night. Totally worthless as NONE of the tubes (aside from the pH one) even turned any colors - unless you count the brown one, which was probably just brown from the dirt.

I'll be calling my county extension office in a bit.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So, what PH, Nitrogen, etc levels are GOOD? I just grow stuff, if it didnt grow I add more cow crap and water lol...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
obsessed said:
He said to never put the rabbit poop in the garden to compost it first. He said no to the grass clippings also. somthing about taking the nutrients from the plants to use in the decomposition process.
I do not think those things are good advice, they sound like they come from someone who is half-remembering a book they read once rather than someone who really knows what he's talking about from experience and thorough knowledge. If it were me, I would take anything he says with a BIG grain of salt.

Rabbit poo is fine, in reasonable amounts, put directly on the garden. (Not other kinds of poo, however)

Grass clippings are fine too, in thin layers. Incorporating DEAD DRY grass or wood shavings or whatnot into the soil can produce temporary nitrogen deficiency, but putting FRESH grass clippings in will not, nor (normally) will just laying those things on top of the soil rather than mixing them in.

It is true that if you are continuing to amend your soil, and have already amended it with things that will take a while to break down and sort themselves out, that a soil analysis will just be a 'snapshot' of this moment in time and not necessarily the same by next spring... but I don't see any reason not to DO a soil analysis, just have to remember the context when thinking about its results.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
When you put high fiber items in a garden, the microbes that break the fiber down, need nitrogen to do it. So while the nitrogen is there, it is tied up and totally unavailable. If you have a glut of nitrogen already, no big deal. If not, a soil test could show plenty of nitrogen but the plants are yellow from lack of nitrogen. Wet, heavy soils will also do the same thing. Put the 2 together, welcome to yellow plants.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
When you put high fiber items in a garden, the microbes that break the fiber down, need nitrogen to do it. So while the nitrogen is there, it is tied up and totally unavailable. If you have a glut of nitrogen already, no big deal. If not, a soil test could show plenty of nitrogen but the plants are yellow from lack of nitrogen. Wet, heavy soils will also do the same thing. Put the 2 together, welcome to yellow plants.
Yes, I know, but you are not going to get that happening from rabbit poop or lawn clippings. Although it can certainly happen from, say, shavings or straw, especially if mixed into the soil rather than just left on top.

Pat

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Would composting the rabbit or grass clipping lose nitrogen during the decomposition? I was think that rabbit dropping were good because they can be applied without composting.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I know, but you are not going to get that happening from rabbit poop or lawn clippings. Although it can certainly happen from, say, shavings or straw, especially if mixed into the soil rather than just left on top.

Pat
Fiber will be broken down, nitrogen will be tied up. As far as the soil microbes are concerned, fiber is fiber. If anyone is expecting fresh rabbit manure to act as a nitrogen source, will be disappointed as the fiber in the rabbit manure will tie up the nitrogen until the fiber is broken down.

I do agree that left on top, it shouldn't cause any problems until you mix it w/soil.