Moss on the Rocks

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
These mossy boulders made me pull over and stop for an enjoyable closer look. I happened to have my camera with me too. Moss fascinates me with it's lush greenness in the spring, and even when dried out by drought comes back just as beautifully the following year with winters moisture.

DSCN3535.JPG

DSCN3539.JPG

DSCN3541.JPG

DSCN3543.JPG

DSCN3544.JPG

DSCN3548.JPG

DSCN3549 (2).JPG

DSCN3556 (2).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3549 (2).JPG
    DSCN3549 (2).JPG
    145 KB · Views: 157

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
But, but, but, Nyboy, you have lots of woody shade for a moss garden! Just purchase a big dump truck and haul some large rocks into your woods. I've got a great recipe for growing moss, but you should be able to find some moss and lichens around the countryside in New York.

I could share some of the stuff that takes over the lawn on the East side, but I keep trying to eradicate it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Excellent pictures of Beautiful Scenery.

We need rocks ... Right? Okay, a fallen tree would do it.

It also takes some forest debris. I have unusual experiences at times with bags of potting soil. They will have moss inside some of the bags. Maybe they were on the bottom of a stack, go wet from rain, and the edge in the light began growing the moss. Inside the bag!

Search eBay or Amazon for "bonsai Kyoto moss spores" and sprinkle on some potting soil or compost where it will stay cool and moist. Or, maybe we could look in that perennially shady part of the lawn or even on the north slope of an old roof for "seeding" our boulder or log ... :)

The pictures are inspiring!

Steve
Edit! http://ofbonsai.org/species-specific/accent-plantings/moss-basics

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely! Hard to gauge the scale of it by pics alone, but that last shot you took, Thistle, would make an amazing backdrop for portraits. I can just imagine taking some Anne Geddes style baby/children pictures. That moss looks like it would be so soft to sit on. You and your DH should have your pic taken together there! And the dogs too, if there's enough room. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My most current moss photo
Selling Hank's trailer 024.JPG

I also have a wet and shady spot DH keeps trying to grow grass and all it wants to do is grow moss. I say go with it. Plop in a large rock or two and a variety of shade loving plants. No more needing to mow that area a bonus!

Latest posts