Mother-in-law tongue question...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a large mother-in-law tongue that was my Mom's. It has been neglected for many years. The leaves are right on top of the soil- and want to tip over. I would like to transplant it. Can I bury the leaves down in the dirt- or do they stay right on top? They are too tall to be sturdy, the way they are. Any suggestions?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s been a lot of years since I grew Mother-in-law’s tongue, probably about the time I got married. Yeah, a lot of years.

I’m pretty sure I buried those tubers just under the soil, but maybe you could try a couple of different things. It’s a real good bet it needs be split anyway. Try dividing it and do it both ways, one on top and one buried. That plant is so easy as long as you don’t overwater I bet both work.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got mine as a few sparse leaves out of a dumpster that were way too long. It was only 3 or 4 leaves, but they were probably 4 feet long!! When i potted them, i chopped the leaves in half so they would stay upright. I put them pretty far in the soil. The plant is doing fabulous now, but it took a while to look "normal." if you can put up with it looking rather ragged for a while, i'd take it out of its current pot, divide the whole plant in half, and then cut the leaves in half. Mine is pretty happy in a small, shallow pot that drains quickly, so i dont think you would need to get a great big pot. It bloomed for me a while back!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good idea, NwMt. I think trimming them might be the answer. So you buried some of the green part into the dirt?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ummm...it was a while ago, but i think i did, because i remember having a hard time getting it to stay upright, even after i chopped it so it wasnt so tall.