Movin the coop "ONE more time" I swear... (asparagus planting)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, I reallyreallyreally want an asparagus bed. Per the directions in a book about planting vegetables in Mississippi, I should start them in January.

I had already selected a small space of land along a sunny fence line and started working on it to get it ready to plant there.

But I have had another idea. I would like to know what you all think about it.

We have pretty much moved our chickens to their permanent location in the yard. We designed their coop and run so that it can be moved, but we don't want to move it because it is HEAVY and a serious pain in the butt! When we put it where it is now, I told (dh) John that we could leave it there.

Well..... now I'm having second thoughts. I feel like if I could get him to move it just ONE MORE TIME (I promise!) that the place where the run is now would make an ideal spot for my asparagus bed.

Over the past few months that they have been there, but have quite stripped the spot of any hopes of vegetation whatsoever. I have thrown in pinestraw as litter on occassion. Not enough to build up. It all looks like dirt now. And I have stopped adding new until I decide if I'm going to move it.

Do you think if I moved the run now that the soil will have had time to be plantable by January? I could till it up and stuff. I know the nitrogen in the chicken droppings needs time to cook or something. I don't understand the chemistry of it. The space is 6' x 12'.

If I am able to use the space, is there anything else I should add?

Cassandra

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
if you do.. it will be nice and fertilized and you wouldnt have had to dig up any grass..

(really I dont know just looking at the positive)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cassandra, do you have any cool collectibles, or anything? If so, would you mail them to me before you tell John about your new plan? :D

ml

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Always done roots here for my asparagus bed. About the same time as you plant potatos plant the roots.

It will take about 3 years from seed is my guess.

Each year I plant more roots this year had a nice group at the same time to harvest.

Here side dress the beds with horse manure and goodness from the coop.

In NJ we have fields of asparagus growing.

ML

Patch of Heaven Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want an asparagus bed really bad too!! I am trying to decide where I want it and I think I made up my mind where to put it. I was wondering what type you selected and if you found any local plants or did you mail order? I will be tilling and prepping the bed tommorrow and want to make an order in a day or so. Now I just need to decide how much to plant!!!!

Jessica :caf

zone 8 SW Mississippi

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have had to move off and leave 2 asparagus beds. We have one here that is about 4 years old. My husband does independent contracting and last year someone asked him about coming to work for them full time but we would have had to move. He told them he couldn't because I had planted an asparagus bed and would not leave it. I have Jersey Giant asparagus, not chickens. We ate them last year for the first time. They were really good. I want to add a few more to my bed this year.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Patch of Heaven Farm said:
I want an asparagus bed really bad too!! I am trying to decide where I want it and I think I made up my mind where to put it. I was wondering what type you selected and if you found any local plants or did you mail order? I will be tilling and prepping the bed tommorrow and want to make an order in a day or so. Now I just need to decide how much to plant!!!!

Jessica :caf

zone 8 SW Mississippi
How jealous am I??? You're tilling and prepping for an asparagas bed, and we're looking out the window at 2 1/2 feet of snow, with temps in the teens (daytime highs, mind you) for the weekend. Dang!:hit

Latest posts