Mow High or Low

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's November, I can hardly believe I'm thinking of mowing the lawn!

Warm weather and fall rain required mowing recently, just so it would present itself as a green carpet for awhile. Now, I'm thinking that it doesn't look all that carpet-like, again.

The lawnmower I had a few years ago, could be set down to its lowest setting and I did not really worry about it hitting the ground. Cutting really low for that final mowing of the season meant that there was very little thatch to be concerned with in the spring.

However, low grass height is supposed to encourage weed growth. Higher lawn grass is more competitive and I've got stuff for it to compete with! Notably, lawn violets.

In 20+ years, I've never applied a weedkiller to the lawn. Digging out dandelions is a price I pay. I don't think it is possible to dig out violets without a backhoe!!

Have you tried different height settings through the year?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
During the growing season I leave my grass at 3". For the final pre-winter cut I lower the blade so the lawn is about 1.5" going into the winter.
I can't go any lower without scalping parts of the lawn as it is "country style" and not very level. In fact it's pretty hilly and dippy which you don't really notice until you walk behind a mower.

This is how I usually do it, but the lawn has grown again with this crazy November warmth. This year it's going into the winter long because the mower has been put away for the season and I'm not gonna get it out again!

Also, lawn experts say that if you only fertilize once, fall is best.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have lawn cut lowest setting all season. I was over run in snakes and wanted to be able to see them easy. My "lawn" has very little grass, mix of weeds.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spouse always said I needed to mow high during the growing season to discourage weeds, but the last mowing of the year needed to be as low as possible.(3.5" down to 1.5 or 2').

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wife would cut it like putting green. Cutting too low hurts the crown allowing greater chance for disease. Also greater chance for winter kill by heaving.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dh is in charge of cutting the lawn. He cuts it pretty high, year round. To smother out weeds in summer, high in fall to catch leaves. (To keep them from piling up in the corners.) Then he mows the leaves up. I think he lowers the blades a bit for the last mow, but not real low.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have lawn cut lowest setting all season. I was over run in snakes and wanted to be able to see them easy. My "lawn" has very little grass, mix of weeds.

NY, that happens when you cut too low all the time...it doesn't allow the grass to go to seed and replenish itself but does allow weeds to fill in all the empty spaces left by the lack of grass. My parents always used to just scalp the whole meadow/lawn all the time and then complain they didn't have any real grass, just weeds. I finally convinced Mom to stop mowing on the lowest setting all the time, allowing the grass a chance to reseed and retain moisture more at certain times of the year. Now we have a greener looking lawn with more nutritious grasses out there for the chickens and wildlife and not so many weeds.

I always cut as high as I can. But my 'lawn' might be called into service as pasture at any time, so..... :idunno

Same here....I don't want to cut the clover blossoms until the bees have utilized them and I like to let the grass reseed itself. Makes for more available food out there for the animals, attracts pollinators and helps retain moisture better during droughty times.

Wife would cut it like putting green. Cutting too low hurts the crown allowing greater chance for disease. Also greater chance for winter kill by heaving.

I agree! We leave the grass a little high going into winter for these reasons and for good cover for insect life...my flock needs those.

Latest posts