Mowed Down Maximilian Sunflowers?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
An idiot mowed down my lovely Maximilian sunflowers that were doing so well and that I had been watering every day. He got almost all of them except for a few coming up on the other side of the fence? How should I proceed? Will they come back this year and bloom late? Will this kill out the plant entirely? Is there a way I could encourage the plant to grow to the other side, so the idiot doesn't whack them when they are on the other side of the fence, thinking them weeds? They are so beautiful in bloom. I am just sick. I hate living with idiots on the property here.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you share the property you might want to mark your plants. I use a wide circle of mulch. If you don't want to spend money, pound some twigs into ground around planting and run string to twigs or put up cheap wire fence.. You might go to destroyer and ask he pay to replace what he killed but that could make a enemy of him

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, she knows they are there. She just doesn't like them. She made a comment to me a few years ago that her friend so-and-so likes those flowers, with the implication being that she, herself, does not. I tie them back, but they weren't quite tall enough yet to tie. But she is my hubby's boss's wife, so what can I do? LOL. Another person on the property has taken up much of her yard with his rig parked there, so she is sick of having neighbors, I'm sure, as am I. But thanks for the ideas, Nyboy.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When should I dig up the Maximilian sunflower roots for replanting elsewhere? Should I wait until they send up new growth and it is cooler? Or now?

Latest posts