Mulch that chickens don't like to scratch in?

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anybody found one? I have a little flower bed, on a slope, and they scratch the mulch out. I am getting tired of weeding. I don't want to fence. Any ideas?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

The only one I have found is stones. I have tried everything else & that one is the only one they are not attracted to. Strangely it's a good mulch especially if you put weed cloth underneath (or a thick layer of newspaper). I put pebbles on the surface of large pots as it keeps the water from evaporating too fast. I also use it, along with large pieces of stone & paving slabs at the base of my many clematis plants.

:rose Hattie :rose

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good call, Hattie. I have noticed that stones can make a nice mulch too.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
aquarose said:
I have got tons of stones! I will have to try it.
WARNING: Weed seeds can infiltrate stone mulches and become troublesome to eradicate. If you use stones, lay a quality landscaping cloth first.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've considered using cement mortar . . . ;)

Honestly, these fat biddies I've got can kick half a brick a yard and they are developing a teamwork model for moving a whole one.

I have some of the rockiest ground in the country, no doubt. But, it may be necessary to remove any that are less than 8 pounds just so the hens don't scatter them about on the lawn grass.

Protecting my lawn mower blade will probably require drastic measures :/.

Steve

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I've considered using cement mortar . . . ;)

Honestly, these fat biddies I've got can kick half a brick a yard and they are developing a teamwork model for moving a whole one.

I have some of the rockiest ground in the country, no doubt. But, it may be necessary to remove any that are less than 8 pounds just so the hens don't scatter them about on the lawn grass.

Protecting my lawn mower blade will probably require drastic measures :/.

Steve
By kracky, you betcha! Mine do work in tandem moving the boulders around. There is good reason the maker decided to keep them the size they are now. Just remember they are just Velociraptor with feathers. :bow

Latest posts