mulching plants with lawn clippings?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was thinking, weeds are a real problem in the field I use for my garden. Even the black plastic I laid a few weeks ago didnt work. What if I surrounded my plants with the grass clippings that get bagged? Would it block out the weeds and would it hurt the plants? Anyone do this? Due to an injury Im probably just getting in tomotoes, pumpkins and watermelon this year.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As long as you haven't used any herbicides on your lawn the grass clippings are just fine, I use them all the time to mulch my veggie beds.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah but it is far more efficient to leave the clippings on your lawn, where they will improve the soil and the health of the grass, and reduce (or eliminate, if you have relaxed ideas about lawns) the need for fertilizer. There are plenty of other things to mulch with :)

Pat

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well, the grass clippings are free and believe me......I have plenty to spare! I will get more than enough for the garden in just one mowing. Sometimes I bag them to add to compost but I have a mulching mower and usually just let them lay. Thanks for the opinions, sounds like an easy solution for me.

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Yeah but it is far more efficient to leave the clippings on your lawn, where they will improve the soil and the health of the grass, and reduce (or eliminate, if you have relaxed ideas about lawns) the need for fertilizer. There are plenty of other things to mulch with :)

Pat
Exactly we mulch with our mower and leave ours on the lawn to help it retain moisture and fertilize.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If spread thick enough they will block out weeds and they won't hurt your plants. I use the grass clippings when I can and they are excellent. They stay in place better than straw and are easier to snug up to the plants. If you're like me, the lawn doesn't need anything else to make it grow well...it does enough of that on its own! :lol:

Might try cardboard. It does a good job for blocking out weeds, easy to come by and decomposes well....worms LOVE it!

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use grass clippings! They do wonderful when applied several inches thick.

As for leaving them on the lawn, sometimes the mowing gets away and it is best to clean it off the lawn than stress the mower out the next time. My lawn doesn't need any fertilizer or mulching either! Darn thing grows to fast as it is!

Latest posts