Mulching with hay for weed control.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Has anyone mulched with hay to prevent weeds and been successful? I am looking to cut my weeding down. Last year I used the black landscaping cloth and black plastic. It wasn't very successful as I still had lots of weeding.

I have two 4' x5' round bales of hay left over from the winter feed stores and want to see if using hay is a better option.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That kindof depends on what type of hay it is. Does it have seed heads in it? We've successfully used straw, but we always get lots of volunteers coming up around our hay stacks due to the number of seeds in the bales. Just something to think about . . .

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
That kindof depends on what type of hay it is. Does it have seed heads in it? We've successfully used straw, but we always get lots of volunteers coming up around our hay stacks due to the number of seeds in the bales. Just something to think about . . .
hmm, well it's alfalfa, oat and something else. It's a good quality hay that I don't think went to seed, it's the first cutting. I guess I'm going to have to try it to find out. I might use the black cloth with the hay on top. I.DON'T.HAVE.TIME.FOR.WEEDS.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you let the chickens pick through it, to remove seeds- and then put it in the garden? If weeds grow up through the hay/straw they are very easy to pull. Much better than plastic or fabric, since you can just till it in, when you want to....

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use old hay on my walkway between the rows. I put it on really thick, then if anything does grow, its super easy to pull up because its so nice and damp underneath. Worked great for me

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:
skeeter9 said:
hmm, well it's alfalfa, oat and something else. It's a good quality hay that I don't think went to seed, it's the first cutting. I guess I'm going to have to try it to find out. I might use the black cloth with the hay on top. I.DON'T.HAVE.TIME.FOR.WEEDS.
Are you sure its Oats? The reason I ask is that Oats is a straw not a hay.

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
chris09 said:
Are you sure its Oats? The reason I ask is that Oats is a straw not a hay.

Chris
Hmmm... I've fed tons of oat hay to my horses over the years. It's cut with the seed heads intact.
The thing with feeding oats as a "hay" is that is has to be cut when it is still green and you have immature oat heads (seeds), also it's nutritional value is lower than that of Alfalfa or a Grass Hay mix. Most of the farmers around here use Oats as Straw after they harvest the seed, now there are a few that will use Straw in there Silage.

Chris

Latest posts