Musa Basjoo

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a couple of banana trees around. A couple of musa manzanos (apple banana), a couple of Ensete maurelli (red Abyssinian) and then this guy, a musa basjoo.

The Basjoo didn't do well outside all summer them suddenly in September he started stretching his arms a bit and growing up. It was really weird but I think some of the other bananas actually stole the sunlight from him and so as the season changed the angle of the sun did as well and finally he was getting the energy he needed. Anyways, I didn't want to just dig up the little one and essentially doom him, since there's no way his corm had enough juice to survive the winter out of soil, so I brought him into my tent for the winter and he's puffed out his chest a bit. Hopefully everything goes well, but I did find some damn spider mites on him yesterday which I treated with some NorCal 86.

20171120_213911.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone else have the idea that Sprig' drags a stool into his well-lit winter tent and sits and talks to his plants?

Probably there are those who tell you that you should migrate south, to Florida maybe. There, a northern gardener can enjoy the tropical plants without undue labor and reliance on technology. Amirite?

You will lose that sunlight meander around the yard through the summer months. Yeah, shade will be most important. True here near 49 degrees North as we retreat further from the base of the shade tree until we have nearly changed from front to backyard or back to front, as summer winds to a close.

Ignore that 365 days of tropics idea, Sprig'! Join me in migrating from temperate north to temperate south. One round Earth - hemispheres with no way to fall up, down under! Yeah, I figure Tasmania deserves a whirl !

Steve

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I certainly enjoy my tent, but so do my kids :).

I hope my manzanos and ensetes survive the winter and jump back to life in the spring.

Moving to the tropics would be a delight but I already have plans to buy more land in the spring/summer to start a tree farm, so any beach lounging will have to wait

OI000115.jpg

Latest posts