My attempts at making Brtchen

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tell you, sometimes things in your memory are not quite as they are in reality.

When I was a child from 6 to 10 years of age I lived in Germany. My parents were Army folks and often as kids we would be given Brchen, a german hard crusted bread. It seemed to be sold everywhere.

I have longed for this bread and longed for this bread. I have gone through several recipes trying to capture that very bread from my past. I think I might have almost gotten there.

But first, ..... I should tell you how horrific it went last night. This latest recipe has me starting the yeast/flour sponge about 8 to 24 hours prior to working the bulk of the flour into it, and of course the salt. I let it sit 8 hours and began adding flour. I hand-kneaded for over 15 minutes and the dough was the most perfect I have ever seen; sticky yet yielding. Then I let it rise for another 2 hours.

I was down to the part where I was placing 1 cup of water into a preheated pan for humidity, and inserting the rolls. They were perfectly formed and sliced across the top. I put the rolls in and attempted to spray the sides of the oven with water (as called for by this recipe), and I accidentally hit the light bulb. BOOOM! The light bulb shattered into a million pieces all over my rolls.

I could have cried. Actually I did. I had no alternative but to toss it all away, turn off the oven, and just call it quits. I skipped fixing dinner last night because this was going to be the highlight of the meal (LOL :p I was fixing Sloppy Joes).

I finally calmed down and relaxed over some Melon. That was dinner. Then at midnight last night I finally could not sleep and got up and started my next batch of Yeast/sponge.

This time, minus the glass, I managed to turn out a great product.

2jg9pfr.jpg

It sounds so minimal, but given the entirety of the day, I think it was horrific; I am glad that day is done and over with. Lunch was of course sloppy joes and the Brchen was fabulous.

Ron

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me this past christmas i was baking panettone and i needed to fill a container with water to raise the humidity and the container shattered into nothing.

Those are nice looking loaves by the way !!! ;)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
your bread looks magnificant congrations!!!! it rivals our local German bakery in looks you did such wonderful job ..bread baking is one of my favorite things to do in life!

I kept thinking brioche not brochen and honestly I know the difference but my brain got stuck so I wanted to post my favorite brioche technique!

but this is brochen ! I am such a duh sometimes!

if you want to make brioche ever here is the way to to do it

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/video/2008/03/bertinet_sweetdough

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow- you must have really wanted those rolls!!! Good for you for making such a beautiful creation and for having the motivation to do it twice! I am sure your lunch was wonderful!

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Those are gorgeous rolls! I remember when I was in Germany, eating those yummy rolls. You would buy roasted 'wuersten' (sausages) from the street vendors and they had those warm fresh breads to go with them. Awesome!
New York hot dogs got nuttin' on them, believe me.

Yours look scrumptuous.

By the way the word is "broetchen," with a "t." As you may have guessed, it means "little breads."

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You know, this sounds like one of my days... where all you want to do is get something done, and at the very last stretch of the race... well... you know.

They do look wonderful, and I truely hope they were worth your search and time...

May I ask for the recipe? :D I am been baking a lot of bread lately for the house. I can swap you a whole wheat and fresh herb bread recipe?!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I certainly cannot take credit for this recipe. It was my latest find which I was trying, I had already attempted three previous recipes this summer but none of them stack up to this one.

http://germanfood.about.com/od/regularbreadandrolls/r/Lean-German-Broetchen.htm

The outside was just as hard as I can remember, but only to a minimal depth, beyond that it was pure softness with the right amount of spring to the bread. Ummmmm, too much, literally; I found that this recipe is far to large for me. The rolls are not the best for keeping or storing and are best used right away. I literally wanted to pop by the time I was done LOL. :lol:

I will try this again in a half batch, and I think that this would be even better if I did utilize a stone versus a pan.

Ron

Latest posts