My beans are coming up.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Me and my DH planted green beans this past Tues. Last night they were not up today they were. Alot can happen in 12 hrs. Yeah ! :watering and we got lots of rain this afternoon.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted some purple bush beans a few weeks back..darn bugs just mowed them down as soon as they came up. I think they were the rollie pollies as I saw lots of them, but I always thought that they did not do damage.
Anyway, no beans for me :( I have a couple random vines in the corn but they are not really producing.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dace said:
I think they were the rollie pollies as I saw lots of them, but I always thought that they did not do damage..
What is a rollie pollie, a pill bug?:/

The beans do seem to come up quick with the right combination of warm soil, and rain. My biggest challenge when they first sprout, is not to have the darn cutworms, thinning the plants. I plant way to many to be fooling with paper cups around the base.

An old gardening friend of mine said "Plant one seed for the birds, one seed for the bugs, and one seed for yourself". He planted very thickly, more than what is usually recommended for a given space, yet always had great yield. This also helped with weed control. The problem I found was trying to get in and harvest the beans, as there wasn't much room to put a foot down.:)

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep, rollie pollie are Pill bugs. Touch them and they roll up tight.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Huh, I didn't realize they ate anything. I just planted a 3rd round of beans & saw a sprout today. Gotta water tomorrow. We got a little rain this morning, but not as much as I had hoped. :(

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK, so if I understand correctly, its plant one seed for the bugs and one seed for the birds. How many seeds are you supposed to plant for the baby ground squirrels that have even learned how to climb a 6ft tall T-post trellis? I've probably got 30 bean plants and they are steadily working their way through them all, eating all of the leaves off. :th