My Chickens

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cant wait for them to start laying eggs :D I kind of stole them from MontyJ ;) Obviously MontyJ will have to post the pics for me until I figure it out :rolleyes:

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
how old are they? you will love the eggs. I love being able to bypass that section of the grocery store.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bj, I'm guessing here, but I think they are around 14 weeks old. I cant wait to by-pass the egg section!!!! We use a LOT of eggs during the summer making home meade ice cream!!!! :drool :barnie

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is Cinnamon She is an extra friendly chicken!

Most of the Chickens dont have names...kind of hard to name them when they look the same!!!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
give it time and each one will show their own personality and certain traits will be more obvious than others on each one.

i have 2 lavender bantam cochin hens that both had big attitudes before they hit their 18 month mark. since they hit that they have both mellowed out some but now i can tell both apart faster than i used to. i would look for the foot feather length on them. Dutchess doesn't have as nice foot feathering that a cochin should have-very sparse, but she has the fluffy, fat body shape and tush. her sister Contessa has lots of foot feathers out to the width of her body, but she is skinny for a cochin and tends to have a pointed tush. the other tell tale trait is the way the back of the combs tends to sag over, one goes to the right and the other to the left. also, these girls like to hop in my lap since we moved to our new/older house. Contessa wants to be the first in my lap and follows me around the yard more than her sister Dutchess. if i go to sit down or crouch in the yard while i'm working Contessa will come trotting over first and hop on the free space on my knee to get my attention and a scratch around the neck.

most of my chickens seem to know their names and respond to them. it just takes some time. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty chickens!! I have some that look the same too. I name the outstanding ones but it is kinda hard to name 3 red sex links that all look the same.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heres a fairly easy way to tell them apart, spiral leg bands. A size 10 should work for yours as long as they are all pullets. Its what I use. You can get up to six different colors or just get a multi-colored pack. You really dont need many colors. You can put two to a leg and they have two legs. That can make a lot of combinations.

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_88&products_id=557

Another option is just to get colored zip ties. Dont pull them very tight to cut off their blood circulation. As long as they are loose, no problems.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Umm, those were my chickens. Now I have to get more chickens to call my own :)

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
since i'm going to have to process my chickens, i'm glad they look alike. it helps put some mental distance there. my originals will be with me a long time. I know their names, their personalities, & what kind of eggs they lay.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dewdrop, if you want those leg bands i'll send you what i have. i think i have that size kicking around here. i never really used them since i have a flock of many colors/shapes/sizes.

Latest posts