My DH bought me a Pressure Canner for my birthday.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good for you! My husband brought home the same exact one last week for me. We had gone to the store to get some more canning supplies and I saw the pressure canner on the shelf. I picked it up to look it over and then I figured I would come back later if I decided to get it. He came home a couple of days later with it. He said he saw me looking at it and there were only two there so he wanted to get it.
Here is the weird part, he pulled into a parking spot at the exact same time as the guy next to him.
They both get out and start walking into the store, they keep going and they both head into the canning section.
Each of them pick up the same exact pressure canner and walk away. The last two.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Natalie, that's why my husband bought mine. We were in Wally World Sat. and they had 3 left, an old women bought one and I asked the sales girl if they would have any in August and she said probably not, so hubby figured he better get it while it was still there. I plan on using it like a steam caner tomorrow to put up sweet pickle relish.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think a pressure canner is a GREAT gift, as long as its not for a wedding anniversary that is. A pressure canner is a gift that can be enjoyed for YEARS to come. I don't think I've ever seen one wore out, and there is so much you can do with them besides just canning. You can speed up the cooking of lots of different foods that would normally take hours, freeing you up to have other fun, not to mention the oodles of home-canned goodies you'll make to enjoy all year round. Kudos to your hubby.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
blurose said:
I think a pressure canner is a GREAT gift, as long as its not for a wedding anniversary that is. You can speed up the cooking of lots of different foods that would normally take hours.
Not for a wedding anniversary... thats a good poke at the guys on this forum who were trying to figure out the perfect anniversary gift...:lol: Now what are they going to do?...perhaps a blender..:lol:

How true about speeding up cooking of different foods! When I was a kid, (mmm..just a few years ago ;) ) my parents were quite poor, so my Dad often bought the cheap, tougher cuts of meat. Mutton, stewing hens, beef flanks and shanks. He could turn out some wonderfully tender and tasty meals, simply using the pressure cooker. It saved having to stew the tough cuts for hours on end.

To this day, I crave a good pressure canner cooked chunk of mutton. Problem is the wife isn't to fond of lamb..:rolleyes:, or in this case sheep.:)

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I used it today as a waterbath caner and it worked jam up. I love it and can't wait to use it as a pressure caner. :weee

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I used mine this week as a water bath too and I liked it alot. Its heavier and I think that it holds the water temp higher in between doing the batches. It seems like you don't have to wait as long for the water to reheat.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use mine for other things, as well. Such as for faster cooking. I have a smaller pressure cooker, but for large batches, my pressure canner can't be beat.

Also, if you ever have to heat a lot of water using the stove, that does it much more quickly, and in a good sized amount, plus keeps it hot longer. :)

Latest posts