My fall southern garden

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I am not tryin to brag (ok so yes I am, I am a southern northern eded in who has finally succeed in having a fall garden, but I digress). So my peppers and eggplant are still producing. My little thai hot pepper that I thought was a serrano is a delight. I would say it started to change color around september so it is a very late chili. It was definately usable green which is why I thought it was serrano. But tasty. Every day the plant is covered in these little orange chilies.

The collards are coming on strong. LIke almost too strong cause there is only so much collards a person can eat. I planted them in Mid-August. I have been planting radishes but not to fond of how they are growing. They are either too big or just too hot. How do you cool off a radish? I was thinking it was summer weather cause the spring/winter doesn't seem to be so hot.

My baby bok joy is always a joy and I think it is read in 45-60 days so yummy. My brocoli is finally starting to form heads. I was worried for a while that I had mixed up the collards and the brocoli but now that their is a head I feel more comfortable. My brussels are the same age as the brocoli but so far nothing from them and I have one wonder plant. Cause I wonder what it is. It is huge but not the same color or shape as either the collards, brocoli, or brussels. My peas are starting to produce. I am faintly aware that I will get nothing out of them. Cause the kids will like them and I will literally not get to eat them. My cabbage is growing, but I wonder when it will form a head?

Natalie

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yuck! Almost all my radishes are unedidable. They give me something similar to heart burn. But at least I know. Mayabe I can still start some to cool them off. Thanks

Natalie

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's the way I am with sugar snap peas. none of them ever make it as far as the kitchen. I stand there and browse on them like a cow.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sugar snap peas never make it to the house here either, it is the only thing we grew this year besides tomatoes and carrots. Wish we could grow a winter garden, you are so lucky!! :tools

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice broccoli, wsmoak! Natalie, I'd like to see some pics of your garden too, since mine is mostly all gone. :D

I've got to bring in the last of the peppers today. I always leave them on until the last possible moment so I get lots of red peppers which I love...tasty, pretty, and full of nutrients! We're supposed to get a frost or maybe even a freeze tonight. My elevation makes me the last around my area to see frost. It is coming 10 days later this year than last.

I am going to have to try bok choy next year. I like making stir fries, so I'm sure we'd use it. What else do you cook with it?

I started my spring radishes as early as I could this year. They were ok, but slow coming along...then tougher as the weather got hot so fast. This year I had a couple packs of '08 radish seed in my stash and planted it all just for the heck of it and now I am overrun with the best radishes I ever grew. The cool fall weather definitely made for better radishes and they grew quickly (in 20 days like the packet says!) I put clear plastic over them to protect them last week when I thought we'd get a frost (but didn't) and it made them fill out very suddenly and they are the mildest radishes I ever grew. I've been eating them by the handful, salted and with dip. Even my toddler liked them!
:drool

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I cook the baby bok choy in a bit of soy sauce an sesame oil tastes great and smells better. I will also occasionally add some fish sauce to the mix.

I got one quick question how long does a broccoli head take to develop? Like I see the little button head but how long does it take to get big.

Latest posts