My first broody hen!

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One of my Black Copper Marans went broody about 4 weeks ago. I gave her eggs a week into her broodyness once I realized I couldn't break her. She got 7 Blue Andalusian eggs and 7 Blue/Black Orpington eggs from a local 4H girl. I candled at day 12 I believe and all 7 Blue Andalusian eggs were developing and I couldn't really tell with the Orpington eggs at the time since the shells were so thick. They are due to hatch tomorrow night or Saturday. She has done so well and has never abandoned her nest. I have pulled one "quitter" Orpington egg from under her- it stopped at day 3 or so it seemed when I cracked it open. Two nights ago she broke one of the Blue Andalusian eggs and it had a chick in it that obviously didn't make it. Although it was interesting to see, it was quite sad to clean up from under her. She hasn't gotten up in 4 days to eat, drink, or relieve herself so I gave her some watermelon today to keep her hydrated and hopefully get her to get up and move around. She's taking her job VERY seriously. Here's to hoping that we get at least one chick out of the deal. Please send some good vibes our way!

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been yes, but she just leaves it alone. Before she got up every other day or so to stretch and what not but she must know that hatch is near and doesn't want to leave her nest. Nature is so funny.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good vibes coming from here.

When the eggs internal pip the chicks and the hen start talking to one another. That way the hen knows they re on the way and will stay on the nest. Four days sounds a little long but yeah, nature has her ways.

The hen stores up a lot of fat before she goes broody. That's mainly what she lives off of while broody. She's probably lost a lot of weight while broody but that is just fat stored for that purpose. You don't have to put feed or water near her during this time but as long as the nest stays clean and the baby chicks can't drown in the water it sure doesn't hurt, especially water. That watermelon was a good idea if she will eat it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner, I didn't know about broody hens storing fat. Thanks for the info. It makes sense also. I'm getting so educated here on TEG. :)

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, if you butcher a laying hen or pullet, there is a huge fat pad right in the pelvic area. You wonder how an egg can get through to be laid, but it does. They build that fat up before they start to lay, just in case they go broody. After they quit being broody they need to build that fat reserve back up before they start to lay again.

Nature does take care of her own.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good vibes coming from here.

When the eggs internal pip the chicks and the hen start talking to one another. That way the hen knows they re on the way and will stay on the nest. Four days sounds a little long but yeah, nature has her ways.

The hen stores up a lot of fat before she goes broody. That's mainly what she lives off of while broody. She's probably lost a lot of weight while broody but that is just fat stored for that purpose. You don't have to put feed or water near her during this time but as long as the nest stays clean and the baby chicks can't drown in the water it sure doesn't hurt, especially water. That watermelon was a good idea if she will eat it.
That is very interesting! She has been making quieter noises so she must be talking to her babies. I could hear some internal pipping earlier so hopefully we will have some babies tonight or tomorrow morning. How long does it take for the babies to fluff up after hatch?

Latest posts