My garden is pooped!!

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's that time of year here in E. Tenn. when my garden is winding down. No rain in 3 weeks has really taken its toll. I might get a handful of tomatoes yet and the okra is still podding. I really can't complain since it is supplied me with numerous jars of tomato juice, salsa, tomato sauce, pickles, jellies, frozen veggies and chili sauce. The freezer is almost full and the pantry is pretty well stocked. :weee

Now my thoughts are turning to sweet potatoes, pumpkins and pears. I'm already deciding what I will do differently next year and making plans for greenhouse sowing in February.

It's been a good harvest.:tools

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
East Tennessee here also, and Okra is doing great, and like you a few tomatoes here and there.

What I am looking for is apples, really would like to have some nice apples.
Nancy

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What I am looking for is apples, really would like to have some nice apples.
Nancy

So would I.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I went out to do some garden clean up this weekend thinking that some of my maters are done...a lot of them are long, woody and about 2/3 stemless. Upon further inspection I realized that they all have leafed out again and are putting on new growth up at the tops! At what point to you yank the plants? The production of my yellow pears and Sungolds has slowed down, but it looks like the Sungolds are coming back, I would hate to pull them prematurely but I have new seedlings waiting for a home!

I have butternut squash taking over, just side dressed and fertilized my squash & cantaloupes, planted some more pickling cukes and I have more mater seedlings to find room for.

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Punkin...Do you have a canning recipe for salsa that doesn't change the way the salsa tastes? I tried to make it once and when I processed to jars it seemed to change the taste.
Thanks

Tink

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tink said:
Punkin...Do you have a canning recipe for salsa that doesn't change the way the salsa tastes? I tried to make it once and when I processed to jars it seemed to change the taste.
Thanks

Tink
I don't think there is a way to preserve that fresh taste, but what I do to canned salsa is to add more fresh cilantro. red onion and a fresh squeeze of lime when serving and that really brightens it up!

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks......I guess that is what makes freash salsa so good! Do you have a recipe for your canned salsa?
Tink

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tink said:
Thanks

Tink
Tink,

This is the recipe that I used for my salsa:
www.thatsmyhome.com/general/zucchini-salsa.htm. The only thing I added was two 15 oz. cans of tomato sauce. It seemed to be a little dry without it. We at it fresh and jarred, and I really can't tell the difference. My family loves it!!

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
Punkin, I wanted to check the recipe out but the link did not work for me.
Hey rockytopsis,
It didn't work for me either when I checked it. I don't know what happened. Here is the recipe:

10 c. zucchini, peeled & shredded
4 onions, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1/4 c. pickling salt
2 tbsp. dry mustard
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. cumin
2 c. white vinegar
1 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. black pepper
5 c. chopped ripe tomatoes
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 cans tomato paste
(I added two 15 oz. cans of tomato sauce. It just didn't seem to have enough liquid to bring to a boil.)

In a large bowl, combine: zucchini, onions, bell peppers and salt. Mix together, cover and let stand over night.

Next day, rinse, drain well and put into a large pot. Add the rest of the ingredients.

Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. (Mine seemed too dry so this is where I added tomato sauce.)

Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

Water bath jars if they do not seal properly.

(The recipe didn't say, but I think it makes 9 pints, or maybe I doubled it. Gee whiz, I don't remember.)

Note: If you want it "HOT" just add a dozen finely chopped jalapenos.

Hope you enjoy!!

Latest posts