My Garden Picture

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a picture of our garden. I was told yesterday it was the prettiest around. I will have to say it is the nicest garden I have ever had. Took Mom, DH, and myself with decent weather to get it to this place. Corn is even tasseling, eating potatoes, peas, cabbage and more, and beans are almost ready. I have had a small amount of tomato. Gambling with the early spring has paid off after covering 5 times for frost.
8537_2012-05-28_15-24-14_802.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow!!! That looks great! What will you do with all your beans? Do you can?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I see pictures of everyone else's gardens, I just sit there with a dreamy look and sigh! Retired, I am imagining walking through that garden and feeling very peaceful. :)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It IS beautiful, '4acres!

I hate even thinking about covering that large of a garden:

"5 times for frost" . . !

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a beautiful garden Retired, and in a lovely setting too!

( After seeing the size of your garden, maybe we should just call you 'Tired! )

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, gorgeous! It looks absolutely perfect! It does remind me of a sign over a driveway i saw the other day: TryN 2 Rest Ranch!

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks all! Don't know why but it has been the easiest garden I have made in a while. Just the right amount of rain at the right time (getting dry right now), having time to keep it worked, and feeling good this summer helps.

The beans will be frozen, Mom does a wonderful job with that. Mine just don't taste as good as hers and I don't know what she does different. Everyone that eats her frozen beans talk about how good they are.

Those frost days were mostly within a few days of one another so just left the hay and buckets laying between the rows, just would go up in late afternoon and recover. Of course, with the early warm days I started the garden a good month before I should have or normally would have planted. That is one reason it looks so good, good growth before the EXTRA HOT weather and dryness sets in this year. I know, hot here is not hot other places. Nineties to one hundred in July/August but our humidity makes it feel worse that in some places that have higher temps.

We have lived here for two years now and beside my mother. I am trying to relearn all the garden and preservation stuff I had forgotten or ignored as my mother is 82 this year and beginning to slow down some. She can still outwork me though. She stuck all those beans before I got up Saturday!

We are in a beautiful setting here, only bad thing is to the left is a main N/S TN road but the house is about thousand feet away and a chipper mill about a third mile away and a little noise when their outside chipper is running. We are only a third mile in the other direction away from beautiful Dale Hollow Lake. I was born and raised here, moved away to adjoining county to work for 40 years and come back to live.

NwMtGardener, my friends say I make them tired talking about what I do but you know, it is fun most of the time. What we enjoy isn't work! BUT, I do wear down in the heat so I won't be as productive these next couple months.

Happy gardening friends!

Latest posts