My Kiefer lime makes a liar out of the books

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought a Keifer lime last Summer, mainly so I can use the leaves for Tom Yum. Every book I ever read on then says that you need a male and female tree in order to get fruit but this is the only tree I have and I've never seen another in my neighborhood. Several of the branches have limes the size of golf balls. I'd be very surprised if they dropped the fruit this far long. Unpollinated blossoms should drop the fruit long before wasting that much energy on it. Keifer limes are bitter and have little juice but they have many cullinary and medicinal uses. The juice is said to make hair lustrous when used as a rinse. Maybe I'll try it on my whiskers. Lustrous whiskers? Look out ladies, here I come. :old :love

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hahaha... congrats! What a nice thing to find out... BONUS! :D

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess I need to find one of those for myself as well! ;-) Wouldn't wanna ship me some of those limes would ya wispy wiskers? ;-)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, I think you are already beating the women off with a stick- heaven help you, if your whiskers get anymore lustrous! Don't you just love natures surprises??

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
I guess I need to find one of those for myself as well! ;-) Wouldn't wanna ship me some of those limes would ya wispy wiskers? ;-)
Remind me next Spring and if they develop any seeds I'll send you some. They won't take frost but some people have luck growing them as house plants if you have bright enough indoor light. The seeds will develop into full sized trees, not dwarfs so you will probably need to kep it pruned in the house.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is a Keifer lime the same as a kaffir lime (the leaves are used in southeast Asian cooking)?

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been wanting one of those and didn't get one because of that reason... thanks, now I won't be as reluctant. :) I found a local place that carries Buddha's Hand, I think I'm still going to get one of those to add to my mini citrus orchard (1 lemon tree, 1 lime tree, and 1 red grapefruit is all I have now.) I'm assuming you're making some Thai Chicken and Coconut soup...?

Latest posts