My new favorite tomato! So weird...

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
These things are called Voyage Tomatoes or Traveler Tomatoes... I ordered the seeds on a whim. The description wasn't very flattering, it said they looked like a brain. They are the most beautiful things, though! They don't look like a brain at all! They look like cherry tomatoes trying to cluster together and pass themselves off as one cute little tomato. The sections pop apart from the center easily and they taste delicious. They taste similar to good cherry tomatoes. I can't quit staring at them! :cool: I just had to share...

8005_voyage_tomato.jpg

8005_voyage_tom_2.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those are interesting looking tomatoes stepstephens! :D
They do look like a bunch of cherry tomatoes all together. I need to show you my tomatoes that I picked, their pretty interesting looking.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was looking at those seeds last spring, can't remember who had them, but they described them as Traveler tomatoes like you said, because you could carry them and just eat one segment at a time. Very interesting fruit, and good tasting too, huh? Can't beat that!

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lesa- there was one segment that was a tiny bit less ripe than the others, but when I ate it I couldn't tell by taste. They grow upside down... with only the smooth marble sides showing, so when I first saw them they didn't look that interesting. So I watched the clusters of what looked like large green grapes ripen slowly, but at a fairly even rate. It wasn't until I picked some and turned them over that I realized they were so pretty and unique! :D

LVVCHAP- I bought them from Tradewindsfruitstore.com. But I also saw them on the Amishland Heirloom Seed site. I tend to buy more from Tradewinds because they offer free shipping on any order over $10. I would recommend this tomato to anyone who likes to grow tomatoes, really!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw those in a catalog somewhere too, Baker Creek maybe? How cool is that! :cool: I'm glad to hear they taste as good as they look too.

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So weird looking! But also very cute and the bottom photo after you picked a couple off--I like how they stay together! Are they easy to pick off without damaging any other tomato?

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Jennifer- It feels kind of like pulling grapes from the stem. Each one is anchored to that one central stem, though. As you pull them off, none of the other tomatoes move. That's what gives it that look of a scored pie after someone has removed a slice or two. The sections are heart shaped and each one is independent from the next... kind of like you took heart-shaped cherry tomatoes and pin-wheeled them out from the one stem. That's what surprised me so much, the pictures make it really hard to figure out. It wasn't until I was holding it in my own hands that I realized how different it really is.:)

dinkadoo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey Step,

I've seen those awhile back and forgot about them. Got to get some for next year. Journey was right; Baker Creek has one that's called Reisentraub but I think it's bigger and does'nt pull apart.(I think)