My own amaryllis cross

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do't know if it's anything special in the world of amaryllis breeding but, it is my very own cross. This is the second year blooming-2 flowers this year. Fun to do but took forever to bloom.
7100_amaryllis.jpg

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That's Stunning!
And Beautiful!
And Amazing!
And other exclaimations!

Just wondering, how long did it take to bloom?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Detlor Poultry said:
That's Stunning!
And Beautiful!
And Amazing!
And other exclaimations!

It's been so long I have lost track of time. Maybe 8 years??? This is the 2nd year blooming. I have another one ready to bloom. I cannot seem to get the bulbs to get larger at any other than a snail"s pace. They do not get a priority so I am also to blame. Still fun. I have just done a cursory bit of research. I'm sure the pros get the bulbs large in a short amount of time as the ordinary bulbs are not very expensive.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Detlor Poultry said:
That's Stunning!
And Beautiful!
And Amazing!
And other exclaimations!

It's been so long I have lost track of time. Maybe 8 years??? This is the 2nd year blooming. I have another one ready to bloom. I cannot seem to get the bulbs to get larger at any other than a snail"s pace. They do not get a priority so I am also to blame. Still fun. I have just done a cursory bit of research. I'm sure the pros get the bulbs large in a short amount of time as the ordinary bulbs are not very expensive.
Yes, you'd think if it took that amount of trouble that they would bring more money. It is probably alot easier to do it via asexual reproduction, too.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey catjac1975, whatcha got there blooming in the background? Is that an orchid? Beautiful amaryllis, by the way. No way would I have the patience to do that.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know they slice the bulbs to create more. But the growth rate must be much faster or no one could stay in business. I'm sure in the ground where the climate is more temperate they grow much faster.Asexual reproduction would not have given me this original cultivar. Not that it is any better than I 've seen in catalogs. Just for fun.
Detlor Poultry said:
catjac1975 said:
Detlor Poultry said:
That's Stunning!
And Beautiful!
And Amazing!
And other exclaimations!

Yes, you'd think if it took that amount of trouble that they would bring more money. It is probably alot easier to do it via asexual reproduction, too.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Hey catjac1975, whatcha got there blooming in the background? Is that an orchid? Beautiful amaryllis, by the way. No way would I have the patience to do that.
Yes there are several orchids. I crossed some orchids and got seed but the germination at home takes extreme conditions that I could not duplicate easily. There are ways but I figured I would have to wait too long for a bloom. I hybridize daylilies and have stuck to that for many years. Have some beauties and will sell out of the backyard for the first time this summer. Another backyard breeder told me you make just enough money to feed your daylily addiction. Haha

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I know they slice the bulbs to create more. But the growth rate must be much faster or no one could stay in business. I'm sure in the ground where the climate is more temperate they grow much faster.Asexual reproduction would not have given me this original cultivar. Not that it is any better than I 've seen in catalogs. Just for fun.
Yes, they cut a cross in the bottom and put it in a dry warm spot and then the 'bulblets' form in the cross.

And I know you can't get anythnig interesting via AR, but with most perenials AR is cheaper and easier than SR, so that would explain why most greenhouses all have the same color! :lol:

Latest posts