My Tomatoes Are OUT OF CONTROL

deenamr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They are all caged and varieties include Early girl, grape, sweet million, brandywine - and others that I don't recall the names of. They are all caged but are literally getting as big as 5 feet across. I hate to cut them back because there are so many blooms on the branches but am wondering if harvest would be better with less blooms/fruits. Just looking for thoughts. Thanks for any input.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My tomatoes (this is my first year) are out of control too. I built cages, and trellises. I still continue to have a bumper crop of tomates. I have learned that I need more space in between them. I also want to try some determinate varities next year instead of all indeterminate ones. From what I understand, you can predict how tall the determinate ones are going to be and cage accordingly. I am sure someone will straighten me out on that.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
deenamr said:
They are all caged and varieties include Early girl, grape, sweet million, brandywine - and others that I don't recall the names of. They are all caged but are literally getting as big as 5 feet across. I hate to cut them back because there are so many blooms on the branches but am wondering if harvest would be better with less blooms/fruits. Just looking for thoughts. Thanks for any input.
Nice problem to have. Just trim the growing tips of each fruiting branch. This will force the plant to feed the fruits and start new flowers, instead of adding more foliage.

Just a thought...

deenamr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
davaroo said:
deenamr said:
Nice problem to have. Just trim the growing tips of each fruiting branch. This will force the plant to feed the fruits and start new flowers, instead of adding more foliage.

Just a thought...
Will do. I planted 23 tomato plants and they are taking over.

Thanks

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In the same situation here... and my tomato plants caught blight and have still gone INSANE since I got the disease under control.

Now its a literal jungle.

I cages them but they have literally torn the cages out of the ground and grown over into my paths I use to try to get around them. I only have 9 plants healthy and strong (ripped out a few diseased ones that didn't make it).

I really need to find a photo. I am not cutting them back because I'm being greedy. :D

Here is one shot from a couple of days ago.

5842_img_3260.jpg

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
In the same situation here... and my tomato plants caught blight and have still gone INSANE since I got the disease under control.

Now its a literal jungle.

I cages them but they have literally torn the cages out of the ground and grown over into my paths I use to try to get around them. I only have 9 plants healthy and strong (ripped out a few diseased ones that didn't make it).

I really need to find a photo. I am not cutting them back because I'm being greedy. :D

Here is one shot from a couple of days ago.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/5842_img_3260.jpg
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. There is nothing that validates your efforts quite as much as a tended tomato patch in full growth.
A true force of nature!

linamree

Sprout
Reaction score
My plants this year are so big. We have them planted beside the garage that have 7 foot side walls. They have out grown that and growing ever more every day, we took some post and put them in the ground, then attached wire fencing. They like it alot. But my plants are just starting to turn red the past week. :D linamree

Latest posts