My Town Fighting Bee Farm Next To Me

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It would serve them right if this couple took their business elsewhere...this town doesn't deserve to have a good business like that in their midst. Might be a pain to move, but I'm sure there are more hospitable and intelligent districts/towns elsewhere in the state.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having lived through living by a honey processing plant, I can sympathize with home owners.

We are not talking about someone with <20 hives. We are talking about bringing honey from thousands of hives with attached bees. The bees are homeless and will swarm in yards, buildings, etc....our house had to be sprayed inside and out. If you have flowers, dandelions, clover in your yard, you can’t walk outside. All 5he bees are lost and pissed....& sting!

If they had been there first, tell the home owners to move. In this case, they moved in a honey processing plant into a residential area that had business codes. They KNEW exactly the mess they would create. These are the types of AG businesses that give AG a bad rep.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, as you explain it and having seen vids on such apiaries, I can see where that would be a huge problem in a residential area. In light of that, I can also see where this town has a point....nice to have a new business in the county but not such a one moving into a residential area wherein the "livestock" cannot be corralled to the business property.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not sure how I feel but I do have something bothering me. When we all got letters about what they wanted do one of there claims was that nothing would be sold from farm. They listed all the stores that carried their honey. Selling from the farm would mean more traffic and strangers, they gave their word only the prossing of honey would happen there. Sat when I got home from work both sides of the road was filled with parked cars a sign was at street saying honey for sale large white tent was put up in front yard. Not sure how this will play out.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lagrange is one of the fastest changing towns in the county. It was a rural farming town. The wealthy of Westchester started moving there for the much cheaper taxes. With all the Westchester money moving in new state of art schools where built. With whole new school sysytem Lagrange became the place to live if you had children. Ihe house market exploded. Farms where sold and up scale house delvoplements built. My sister and brother in law made a ton of money. Lagrange went for farm town to scarsdale like town

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not sure how I feel but I do have something bothering me. When we all got letters about what they wanted do one of there claims was that nothing would be sold from farm. They listed all the stores that carried their honey. Selling from the farm would mean more traffic and strangers, they gave their word only the prossing of honey would happen there. Sat when I got home from work both sides of the road was filled with parked cars a sign was at street saying honey for sale large white tent was put up in front yard. Not sure how this will play out.
Tells you a lot about the value of their word. Again, they are what makes commercial AG look bad-because they are.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What these apiaries should do is modify a semi trailer to harvest the honey on location so that there is NO bee loss, no cross contamination of diseases between hives, and no one area loaded with displaced bees. They could have all the honey loaded into a tank.

Bees are a necessary part of AG and the food chain. What isn’t needed are arrogant bee keepers-again not talking about the family hives.

Latest posts