mystery daisy weed - almost solved - some kind of aster

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can tell that y'all are dying to look at more mystery plants and increase your learning, and i don't know what this is, so check it out.

fix%20it.jpg

As you might imagine, this plant grows vertically when outside and planted in the ground, not horizontally as pictured. :rolleyes:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's a helpful site for white weeds!

I think this variety is a feverfew, known to help with migraines... so I would consider it a natural herb. :) That's personal opinion.

We have the english daisy variety grow wildly across the back of our property and they are super busy growing out there between May and July. I pick them, spray them with a soap/water solution and put them in vases in the house. I wouldn't both killing them. They are pretty harmless compared to what else we could have.

(P.s. - It is a weed, but it is a type of daisy. Actually, daisies are considered weeds in general!)

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think i'm going with fleabane on this one - but daisy fleabane instead of prairie fleabane. Very exciting stuff.

vfem, i'd still like to know what website you were referring to. I've collected quite a few for identifying trees, but i don't know where to go for weeds/flowers/herbs/grasses, etc.

This is definitely not the end of my list of things to identify. I just kept looking at this one thinking it is probably good for something....food or medicine or whatever.

And you don't really have to worry about me trying to get rid of weeds that form flowers unless i have a good reason. I'm of the opinion that mowing too much cheats us out of learning about the things BESIDES grass that naturally grow and are very beneficial. What America's love affair with grass is - i just don't know.

Y'all want more? I have more pictures!

(i'm sick today so not being able to go flutter about the woods is killing me - and being able to talk about my plants is helpful. :hugs )

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:
PunkinPeep said:
I can tell that y'all are dying to look at more mystery plants and increase your learning, and i don't know what this is, so check it out.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_uWPyYvXoorQ/SvsH7XAeTUI/AAAAAAAAB28/jf59lyo4sWo/s800/fix it.jpg

As you might imagine, this plant grows vertically when outside and planted in the ground, not horizontally as pictured. :rolleyes:
Could be a type of white aster... :idunno
You are correct, sir. Fleabane is a type of aster. (or so i read)

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/ds_fleabanex.htm
:thumbsup

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well...I guess I meant it could be a fleabane (Erigeron) OR it could also be a type of white aster (from the genus Aster). Both are in the Aster family.

I dunno...I'm getting more of an Aster vibe from the pic...lol...but it's hard to say...:hu

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:
Well...I guess I meant it could be a fleabane (Erigeron) OR it could also be a type of white aster (from the genus Aster). Both are in the Aster family.

I dunno...I'm getting more of an Aster vibe from the pic...lol...but it's hard to say...:hu
Do you have a link to the vibish variety?

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
cwhit590 said:

Do you have a link to the vibish variety?
Not yet...I'll try to find a pic...there are a lot of species of white aster so who knows which one it could be exactly. Some species are so similar you have to look for very small details (hairs, leaf shape, etc) to be able to tell them apart. :/

Reasons for Aster vibe:
- The flower centers are different colors. Looks like the newer ones are yellow and the older ones are purplish.
- Petals...they look larger and less numerous than on fleabane
- My field guide says Daisy fleabane starts blooming in spring...?

Latest posts