Mystery Mohonia

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would like to plant Mohonia x media "Buckland" (Oregon Grape). I just do not find them for sale except in the UK and I am sure importing them is gonna be on the strange side of the weird meter. Any guesses as to why? Or where I could find some? They may be invasive, as some Mohonia are, but I have not read that about these yet.

LnaeMZ9c6QTO4Ro9LpY9vgos0nJakig6iBdKE7Jn.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you would have some luck searching with the name: Berberis x hortensis

North Carolina State University says that the previous name for those plants was Mohonia x media. LINK

Just relying on a Google search, I don't find a Buckland. Oregon Grape grows wild in our forests here, Dirtmechanic. I've never known whether some of the older bushes may be domestic varieties or hybrids or wild "harvested." The one you are looking for appears to be an obvious hybrid.

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Perhaps you would have some luck searching with the name: Berberis x hortensis

North Carolina State University says that the previous name for those plants was Mohonia x media. LINK

Just relying on a Google search, I don't find a Buckland. Oregon Grape grows wild in our forests here, Dirtmechanic. I've never known whether some of the older bushes may be domestic varieties or hybrids or wild "harvested." The one you are looking for appears to be an obvious hybrid.

Steve
A rose by any name? Thank You!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Far Reaches Farm in WA state has carried Mahonia "Buckland". Their site says it's currently out of stock, but maybe you could contact them and they can give you more info, or point you to another U.S. source.

Thank you - I did! Well, I left an email and am on a wait list.

Latest posts