Mystery perennial

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is in a neighbor's garden... I want to search for stock, but haven't got a clue what it is. The previous home owners planted these, the present owners don't know what they are either.
20180622_152635.jpg

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is in a neighbor's garden... I want to search for stock, but haven't got a clue what it is. The previous home owners planted these, the present owners don't know what they are either.View attachment 27312

They look a lot like my bell flower plants, though I've never seen this color (mine are dark blue). Found a variety on line, campanula makaschvilii, that looks pretty close even though the pedals may look a bit less pointy.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is in a neighbor's garden... I want to search for stock, but haven't got a clue what it is. The previous home owners planted these, the present owners don't know what they are either.View attachment 27312
It is a type of campanula. When I bought mine the woman told be it was invasive. I thought Great free plants.Big mistake. It is lovely but I am constantly pilling it out . Put near woods and no other desirable plants.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A Campanula was my best guess too... thanks @digitS' , you might have the right species. I followed a link from your link, and found many different colors, one of which looks really close.

We had a wild Campanula in several places on our property; DW thought they looked pretty and moved some to her flower garden. As you said, @catjac1975 - big mistake! It spread wildly, and it took us two years to eliminate it. The one in the photo, though, would fit nicely into a spot next to a tree trunk, where little else will grow. It could spread there to its hearts content... hope allowing it to do so doesn't turn out to be a mistake. I'll try to work out a swap with the neighbors, when the veggies start coming. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that I may not want to know much about the invasives but what are your campanulas, @Michael Lusk ?

The last few years I have had this one. The nurseries like to call it, Campanula Superba:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campanula_glomerata

It's quite well-behaved. Growing Canterbury Bells each year is okay but fitting-in such large plants can be a problem.

I noticed that I have one Peachleaf Bellflower volunteer, this year. It's out looking through the front picket fence. That's okay. They are pretty and the lady down the road likes them and has a row of them in her front yard.

Steve

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine are a 'campanula hybrid' named Kent Belle and I've had them for 10 years give or take. I think I started out with 1 or 2 plants from a nursery and I've divided them a few times over the years and popped them in a couple of other spots in the yard. Mine aren't invasive but maybe it's because the growing conditions aren't ideal (shady most of the day and near the base of a big maple). I really like them as they bloom most of the summer.

Latest posts