1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Happy Autumn all! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Mystery perennial

Discussion in 'What Am I? Plant Identification' started by Zeedman, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jul 11, 2018
    Zeedman

Zeedman Deeply Rooted

This is in a neighbor's garden... I want to search for stock, but haven't got a clue what it is. The previous home owners planted these, the present owners don't know what they are either. 20180622_152635.jpg

2. Jul 11, 2018
    Michael Lusk

Michael Lusk Garden Ornament

They look a lot like my bell flower plants, though I've never seen this color (mine are dark blue). Found a variety on line, campanula makaschvilii, that looks pretty close even though the pedals may look a bit less pointy.

Zeedman likes this.
  3. Jul 11, 2018
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

4. Jul 11, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

By looks of photo it spreads. ask if you can dig up a plant or 2. Transplant in your garden under trees keep well watered in beginning.

Zeedman likes this.
  5. Jul 11, 2018
    catjac1975

catjac1975 Garden Master

It is a type of campanula. When I bought mine the woman told be it was invasive. I thought Great free plants.Big mistake. It is lovely but I am constantly pilling it out . Put near woods and no other desirable plants.

Zeedman and Nyboy like this.
  6. Jul 12, 2018
    Zeedman

Zeedman Deeply Rooted

A Campanula was my best guess too... thanks @digitS' , you might have the right species. I followed a link from your link, and found many different colors, one of which looks really close.

We had a wild Campanula in several places on our property; DW thought they looked pretty and moved some to her flower garden. As you said, @catjac1975 - big mistake! It spread wildly, and it took us two years to eliminate it. The one in the photo, though, would fit nicely into a spot next to a tree trunk, where little else will grow. It could spread there to its hearts content... hope allowing it to do so doesn't turn out to be a mistake. I'll try to work out a swap with the neighbors, when the veggies start coming. :D

7. Jul 12, 2018
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

I think that I may not want to know much about the invasives but what are your campanulas, @Michael Lusk ?

The last few years I have had this one. The nurseries like to call it, Campanula Superba:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campanula_glomerata

It's quite well-behaved. Growing Canterbury Bells each year is okay but fitting-in such large plants can be a problem.

I noticed that I have one Peachleaf Bellflower volunteer, this year. It's out looking through the front picket fence. That's okay. They are pretty and the lady down the road likes them and has a row of them in her front yard.

Steve

8. Jul 12, 2018
    Michael Lusk

Michael Lusk Garden Ornament

Mine are a 'campanula hybrid' named Kent Belle and I've had them for 10 years give or take. I think I started out with 1 or 2 plants from a nursery and I've divided them a few times over the years and popped them in a couple of other spots in the yard. Mine aren't invasive but maybe it's because the growing conditions aren't ideal (shady most of the day and near the base of a big maple). I really like them as they bloom most of the summer.

digitS' likes this.
  9. Jul 12, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

I found a lawnmower is very effective keeping invasive in check

Michael Lusk likes this.