Myths

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Next year I am going to try DH's family's ancient British and Welsh gardening techniques. Well, maybe not the bit where you fertilize the trees with the blood of disemboweled criminals, but the other bits.
You're going to fertilize trees with "the other bits" of disembowelled criminals?

Do your neighbors know about this?

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Rosalind said:
Next year I am going to try DH's family's ancient British and Welsh gardening techniques. Well, maybe not the bit where you fertilize the trees with the blood of disemboweled criminals, but the other bits.
You're going to fertilize trees with "the other bits" of disembowelled criminals?

Do your neighbors know about this?

Pat
:lol:

I have a few neighbors I'll volunteer to send your way, though they aren't criminals in the blue-collar sense.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That didn't quite come out right, did it?

Well, I got a real estate developer who wants to put a bunch of cheap, ugly condos on a wetland across the street. And he's got a project manager with a nasty attitude. How many different ways did the ancient Celts sacrifice people to the local tree deities? I don't think my neighbors would complain if those two went missing, really.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :dance

Actually I am planning to try a bunch of plants that are supposed to keep away bad luck--three kinds of red flowers, adding hawthorn and hazels to my woodlot (already have oak and ash) to build the understory. Also will adopt an obsessive-compulsive attitude towards slug traps, courtesy of my English mother-in-law.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Well, I got a real estate developer who wants to put a bunch of cheap, ugly condos on a wetland across the street. And he's got a project manager with a nasty attitude. How many different ways did the ancient Celts sacrifice people to the local tree deities?
I thought sacrifices were usually of valuable items. I'm envisioning the local tree deities saying Phhththtbbt to an offering of real estate developers.

I bet real estate developers compost down ok, though.

(Slugs too, come to think of it).

(Not that there's a big difference).

(Well, the slugs drink less beer).

Pat

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i dont know if they are considered myths because they seem to be true but in the sky my grandfather said red at night sailors delight, red in the morn sailors be warned. Meaning if the sunset is red at night the nexts days weather will be nice or red in the morning it will be stormy. He said the cows will lay down if its going to rain and the maple leaves will turn over. Whooly bear caterpillars, I cant remember exactly, the red and black ones, is it a bad winter if they are mostly black?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have heard the cow one too. It is also if the cows are laying down then the fish aren't biting either.

Latest posts