National Home Gardening Club

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Is this just a scam or is it worth it? I received their 'junk mail' a few days ago, and it's that club where they send you gardening tools, ferts, seeds, etc. to 'test drive' for them
and offer opinion. You get to keep whatever is sent. Of course there's a fee. From what I've read, it's 20.00 a year. Have any of you done this? I'm pretty leary of these, and have never joined.
But hubby is a little more gullible, and really wants me to try. What do you think?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mother..I got the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I actually kept it for a few days, reread it several times, and came close to sending it in.

In the end, I got chicken. I figured if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't! I once joined a book club and it took me f.o.r.e.v.e.r to get off it. It was a nightmare. Didn't want to go through that again.

I figured if I really, really, wanted a gardening item, I could save up for it.

Mary

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was a member for about 2 or 3 years when they first came on the scene which was probably 15 or 20 years ago . IIRC it was $10.00 at the time. It was worth it for the magazine, seems it was a every other month at the time. I did get products to try about twice a year. Plus, they came out with a website at some point. As I think about it, I believe that is why I stopped renewing my subscription. The website was free at the time.

At any rate, I am sure many things have changed over the years, but I do have a nice collection of refrigerator magnets that have managed to survive all these years. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I recall a few years ago actually sending the reply in to join, because the information said it was $10. However I must not have read the fine print, because I got a bill for $20. It annoyed me that they would bait and switch, so I just sort of sat on the bill for awhile. In the meantime they sent me a packet with window stickers and I don't know what else. Since I didn't send the money in (my fault, I should have just let them know right away I wasn't interested ) I got a snotty letter from them, so I put all they had sent into an envelope and mailed it back letting them know I was sorry but I wasn't interested.
So anyway....:idunno

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've been a member since 1998, but it was $10 per year then, and i still get my magazines every other month. i became a life member a few years after i started (for i think $200) and it was worth it then with the tools they sent me that have mostly held up for the past 10 years! i just wish their magazines had less ads in them and more good articles. i have yet to use my card to get any discounts but it has been nice to see what products they have tested and approved.

you have to sign up to do any product testing and so far i have only tested one product that was a really cheap metal multi-tool. you get to keep the product i think without having to pay for it as long as you send in your product testing card.

Latest posts