Nebraska - zone 4

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread for anyone in Nebraska or Zone 4 - would be nice to compare notes.

:coolsun

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm in, effectively, zone 4 in Ontario, Canada (about an hour north of Toronto). Or a touch colder, as we are in a low frost-pockety bit.

I'm not sure how our climate compares to the Plains though... our av'g last frost is in the first few days of June, we have some but not huge lots of summer days in the 90's (F), typically a few incjes of rain for the summer, first frost in early to mid Sept. but first killing or prolonged frost not til the end of the month or beginning of Octiber, fairly reliable snow cover during winter with one or two January thaws. Have not yet seen thermometer below -31 C (whatever that is in F) but I am sure it happens, this is only my 5th winter here.

What is your area like?

Pat

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm in central Nebraska - the sandhills.....

This is my first year here - NEVER been in such FREEZING cold before! :gig

We've had a couple of days just over freezing this month, but not many..... and its very cold now and for the next few days, going well below freezing..... (my poor chickens!)

We have LOTS of wind, luckily we have a FOREST of trees around our property - cept on the one side, but it keeps the wind down a bit.
Soil is very sandy (hence the name sandhills LOL) but I've heard folks around here grow awesome veggies and fruits.

My only dillema right now is WHERE to plant my garden... there is an old spot in the front yard, half fenced, fence fallen over... but I really don't WANT to be out in the front, I want to be out back with the animals, and have the chickens eat all the grasshoppers.

Our last frost will be in May.... so not much of a warm season...

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You've seen me on BYC Wildsky - I'm in Omaha. I, um, have sort of a butterfly garden addiction...:rolleyes::hu well, I just got started in 2009, but, well, it's almost as bad as my chicken addiction...well anyway, Hello everyone!! :frow