Need a recipe for insecticidal soap that really works

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anyone have a really good recipe for an insecticidal soap that really works? I've got these tiny little caterpillars about 1/2 inch long, pale yellow with black stripes and about 1/16 inch diameter. They're making a mess of the rutabaga leaves. I turned the leaves up and there'd be three or four of them working a leaf. I tried a solution of Murphy's Oil Soap, garlic oil, Tabasco and water but it didn't seem to bother them. I see other insects on the beans and other plants and it didn't seem to do the trick on them either. I did try the store-bought Safer Insecticidal Soap spray and it works but it's too expensive. I'm trying to find someone who sells the concentrate who has it in store. Home Depot has it but it takes a week or more to get it delivered and by that time they will have won out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jim, I have used dish soap (Dawn, original) against aphids. I've noticed that it seems to take out the spider mites, also. I often spray the sunflowers that are in the veggie garden with this since they are aphid magnets.

I'm willing to use soap because they are big plants and the organic sprays are expensive. I'm not eating the sunflowers, anyway.

Here was my original guide. Note what is said about phytotoxicity. I like to spray late in the day and show up the next morning to rinse the plants with water. I'm avoiding strong sunlight and hitting the bugs when the air is dry so they will fry!

Nothing more to it but that I use 3 tablespoons per gallon of water. So, it is almost the lowest concentration that Colorado State recommends. It works on aphids.

Colorado State University (link)

Steve