Need a squash bug solution that REALLY works for 2012 gardening

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My beds with squashes were LOADED with squash bugs in 2011. Can't use chemical insecticides bc my horses graze closeby and I'll be using chicken tractors next year--would they eat them? Not sure, since they like the fruit, too. I'm considering planting extras to sacrifice to the chickens and decrease the surplus bugs. I've cleaned my 2011 beds and moved the dirt a couple of acres away that might hold bug eggs. Anybody had any experience with eliminating them? I understand that I can squish the squash bug eggs bc they lay under the leaves of the squashes. I had hardly ANY zuccini in 2011, and NO acorn squashes. TOTALLY BAH!!!
Interested in your ideas, thanks!
(NOTE: I'll be posting this on BYC, too. I'll let you know if THEY have any experience with chickens predating squash bugs.)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not found a good solution. Squash bugs are stink bugs. I'm not sure how well chickens would do on them, not just from eating the fruit or whether or not they would even eat the bugs, but scratching in there and damaging the squash plants trying to get the bugs. I've read that guineas work on them really well, but I don't raise guineas.

I did not grow any squash of any type last year on the hopes that would reduce the population this year enough so that I can get some harvest. I do appreciate your pain.

I also get the squash vine borer but I'd rather deal with the borer than the bug. I've had success cutting the borer out. I cannot destroy enough of the eggs to keep the squash bug population down. All the "organic" methods I've tried don't work that well either. Companion planting, using boards to attract them overnight, crushing eggs, picking them off. I don't mulch them and give the bugs a palce to hide, as much as I believe in mulch.

Hoodat has had experience with them in this part of the country. I think he finally gave up, if you can imagine Hoodat surrendering.

I've also sprayed with insecticides, Sevin specifically, and that temporarily knocks the population back, but once they are established, they are established. What I tried with very limited success was pick all the summer squash off, spray them, them use the fruit that developed after spraying. It's not like I have not tried.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you mean, "crushing cooked eggs" or "crushing egg shells"? I'm swimming in eggs, right now--6-13/day--and I'been prepping my 2012 tomato beds with eggshells. Thanks for the quick reply! :D They talked about this last night on Midwest Gardener, and the ONLY solution was to squish the eggs. I've heard ....something... about boards--could you elaborate on that?
ALSO, would a bigger population of praying mantis or true ladybugs solve this? Our local FS sells them.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So... I'm reading this book called Organic Pest Control For Home & Garden (Amazon link ) and it says that for companion planting that if you plant marigold or radish that it will help keep the Squash bugs away. I figure at this point, I will try anything to keep from using pesticides in my garden! I've already ordered marigold seeds, got 200 seeds from Baker Creek for $1.75, so I'll be mixing them in with a few of my beds this year!

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Chickens LOVE and I mean LOVE stink bugs. If I see one in my house I carry it to my chickens because I know how much they love them. Not sure if they will do damage to your plants and small squash but I know they will eat the bugs. I can't see a chicken choosing a plant over the bug but in going after the bug they may inadvertently peck the fruit and leaves. If the squash was all that was there then they may go after it, but with a juicy protein packed bug available I wouldnt worry about that. Sort of like the honeybee and pollen of certain plant species.

I have never tried DE on my squash but I will be using it this year. Have you tried it?

I am an optimist so I think if you have to sacrifice your squash harvest or at least some of it by letting your chickens in after your plants have established themselves the bright side is they will eat the bugs and larva. Next year the bug population will be greatly reduced.

I have had my chickens, ducks and geese in my gardens this winter in hopes of that very result.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
THAT is really good to know. I incubated 3 groups last year for a new laying flock. I now own 13 layers and 2 roosters (they came as a package.) DH and I are building tractors next year. It's kinda hard to free range them bc my BC mixed dog, Rose, chases them when they run, but I could fashion tractors.
I'll try this bc I started with 7 zucchini and should have been harvesting a bumper crop--I got 5 last year.:somad
It DOESN'T HELP that they've been growing field corn back to back behind my property, and all of the pests that survive the mass crop poisoning move to my 5 acres.
I'm willing to sacrifice this year's squashes to my chickens. :D THEY give me eats and meat. I'll let you know how things go.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Do you mean, "crushing cooked eggs" or "crushing egg shells"? I'm swimming in eggs, right now--6-13/day--and I'been prepping my 2012 tomato beds with eggshells. Thanks for the quick reply! :D They talked about this last night on Midwest Gardener, and the ONLY solution was to squish the eggs. I've heard ....something... about boards--could you elaborate on that?
ALSO, would a bigger population of praying mantis or true ladybugs solve this? Our local FS sells them.
Squash bugs hide at night. If you put boards down and get out there real early in the morning, you are supposed to be able to kill them where they have collected.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
ducks4you said:
Squash bugs hide at night. If you put boards down and get out there real early in the morning, you are supposed to be able to kill them where they have collected.
Love this idea but we have 400 plants. WE use safer soap and neem. Spray at 3 day intervals if its really rainy.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you want a chemical solution, there is one you can use that will kill them and is safe (and is used in restaurants) for a chemical. I used it last year to save my garden from ants and stink bugs in my new garden. I normally garden without chemicals but I was losing badly and the 3rd time I had to replant due to ants, enough was enough.............I killed them and I'm not sorry at all.:lol:

Latest posts