• Orange

• Blue

• Dark Red

• Bright Red

Results are only viewable after voting.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello all, I got a 6x8x7ft greenhouse yesterday and I need help choosing where to put it.

Ignoring the mess in the yard, I marked 4 possible spots. The little dashes show where the doorways are. Out between the hay and propane tank is where the garden is and don't want anything out there. Left side of pic would be AM sunlight.

If you had to choose, which would you pick?

Orange would be by the pond, getting shade later in the day.
Blue is close to the kitchen window and shade later in the day, but a bit sooner than the orange.
Dark red would get shade around 4-5 and then get some sun again.
Bright red would have noon shade.
2016-02-21 17.07.38.jpg
2016-02-21 17.07.54.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
For someone who knows what they are doing and have all the accessories, full sun will work. But I'm bound to burn and bake some plants... :(

Then again, if this one doesn't blow away, then it's already a huge improvement from the last greenhouse experience....lol.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ideally, your greenhouse (the ends) should be situated north and south or as close as you can come, that way all sides and ends get equal amounts of sunlight as the sun moves from east to west. That being said the part that is going to get the sun most of the day later in the season will need some shade, like a piece of shade cloth . My greenhouse is as close to north and south as I could get it, around May we put a piece of shade cloth over the roof and down the sides on the sunny end and don't take it off until sometime in September, hope this helps..... also if possible have a door on both ends, one you don't have to use but in hot weather open it for extra ventilation, this is one thing I didn't do when we built ours and I'm kicking myself I didn't do it.

Annette

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first thought was to where it would be most sheltered from prevailing winds.

You want sun, of course, and north/south alignment is ideal, but it seems you've had wind problems in the past, too.

In your growing zone, afternoon shade is not a bad thing for a green house. In the summer, when the sun is nearly straight overhead, what you see as shady now might not be so shady.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, wind is heck in that yard. To the right is a downward hill and to the left is an upward hill. Behind the camera is an upward hill. In front past the pines is a downward and then upward hill.
Wind loves to blast through that yard like a jet engine! :( My hay tent has been shredded to heck and back so many times...

The bright red would have some shade from the tree above it, but minimal, as the tree is dying. It would have no wind protection.

Blue and orange would have the most wind protection.

The greenhouse does have 2 doors and side windows with mesh to keep out bugs.
FB_IMG_1456101438343.jpg
FB_IMG_1456101435242.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like there is a kennel near the tree (red). Wouldn't the kennel fencing itself slow the wind down as well as provide an anchor for one side of the greenhouse?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
No wind block, but yes, the fence can be used to help secure it.

We'll be getting some more pallets to use as the floor.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having morning sun is a very good thing. It seems you are saying every location will have that.

A couple hours of shade in the morning would add to the hours of darkness, overnight. They may allow temperatures to continue dropping inside the structure, for a time beyond when they would have begun to rise, if there was just a little morning sunshine. Lack of sunlight will encourage fungal growth.

Afternoon shade isn't a terrible thing.

Steve

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ended up putting it in a different spot. The tree just worried me too much.
Still have to finish leveling the floor, put in tposts to secure it and then put on the cover.
2016-02-27 16.44.35.jpg

Latest posts