Need help on bread

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
i use a bread machine to make dough, then bake. Normally, I make white bread. This time I added a cup of whole wheat in place of cup of white. After rising in machine, divide into 4 small loaves, allow t to rise in pan in warm area covered with wet towel. This time, it didn't rise as fast so I gave it more time. This time it collapsed.

Start telling me everything I did wrong. I'm a big boy, I can take it....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What Bay said. Adding whole wheat does make the rise time slower but you have to watch it. Did you re-loaf and let it rise again? The second time around would have been a little quicker. You can salvage collapsed dough, I've done it often. Get distracted and go outside, come in and have to re-knead and loaf it out again. But it bakes up just fine.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, so let me get this right. After it collapsed, I should have taken it out and knead it again?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will second rise be lower than first rise?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Also, check the expiration date on your yeast. Even if it is past, you can add extra yeast and make it work. I suggest that you try making bread withOUT the machine and then you can gauge the rising times at your house. Elevation and temperature affect it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A man that makes bread should be on the cover of People Magazine as sexiest man in the world! holding loaf of bread of course!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, This is what my grandmother did : next time when the dough falls, disolve a little brown sugar ( teaspoon to table spoon depending on amount of dough . She also used a tablespoon or two of honey but do not add water) in just enough warm water to dissolve, add to and kneed throughly ( you may have to add a pinch or two more flour if the dough is too wet ) cover with a towel , let rise, bake. I use brown sugar or honey when I add the yeast to make pizza / calzone dough from scratch whenever I want a thicker but soft crust since I overload the toppings / stuffing with EXTRA meats, onions, mushrooms, pinapple chunks, bell pepper, etc. :drool

Last edited:

Latest posts