Need help with mold problem

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am having a problem with mold. I always use peat pots for squash and related crops. The outside of the peat pots and the top of the soil quickly molded. It is brown powdery mold. I tried dipping them in Hydrogen peroxide/water mixture. The mold would not even get wet and the pots started to quickly fast apart without helping the mold situation. The plants in plastic containers are fine. I have never seen anything like this. The seedlings look great so far but, I cannot imagine they are going to survive this. I tried bleach and water on a few of the pots and it just knocks it back and returns. I used some fish emulsion for fertilizer and am wondering if this is the cause. Again, the plastic pots and soil are fine. I am thinking I may have to start my seedlings over again. And now it is getting a little late. And then what to use? I do not like squash seedlings where are I disturb the roots by removing them from a plastic pot. WHAT TO DO?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you try putting a fan on them to dry the outsides out but keep the roots damp? Mold is from moisture, temperature, and somehow a mold spore got there to start the process. Be very careful handling them so you don't spread it. And use sterile potting soils and equipment. That fan trick is how I handle damping off.

If you re-pot, I have not done it but some people make cups out of wet newspaper, mold then into cups. Then just plant the whole thing without disturbing roots when it is time to go outside. Or maybe use a paper cup so yo can cut the outside off with scissors when you plant.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you try putting a fan on them to dry the outsides out but keep the roots damp? Mold is from moisture, temperature, and somehow a mold spore got there to start the process. Be very careful handling them so you don't spread it. And use sterile potting soils and equipment. That fan trick is how I handle damping off.

If you re-pot, I have not done it but some people make cups out of wet newspaper, mold then into cups. Then just plant the whole thing without disturbing roots when it is time to go outside. Or maybe use a paper cup so yo can cut the outside off with scissors when you plant.
It is very unusual mold- the pots are not all that wet, and they are drying out very fast. The greenhouse gets extremely hot this time of year.. A fan normally would be a good idea, but this powdery mold goes flying into the air just by watering. You should have seen it when I dipped it into peroxide. Surprisingly the plants still look good. I may replant as a backup. Newspaper is not very appealing to me. Thanks for he input. The ones I dipped actually look a bit better, but I will need gallons of H P, and then there is the falling apart of the pots problem. Woe is me.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, I have had that problem, too, when I have used peat pots. But I don't remember the mold actually hurting the plants. Just thinking out loud here, the pots are made of compressed peat, which is kind of an acid substance. Maybe spraying them with something that is alkaline would change the environment enough for the mold to stop.
I don't think every mold is harmful to humans, if that is your main concern.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, I have had that problem, too, when I have used peat pots. But I don't remember the mold actually hurting the plants. Just thinking out loud here, the pots are made of compressed peat, which is kind of an acid substance. Maybe spraying them with something that is alkaline would change the environment enough for the mold to stop.
I don't think every mold is harmful to humans, if that is your main concern.
A agree with the human risk being unlikely. I have had them mold some before but, the color and fact that is is spreading to the soil mix is what has me alarmed. So, baking soda maybe?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
brown mold.jpg
A big cloud of the brown mold flys off into the air when I water the plants. I have never seen this before. The pots always mold as part of the decaying process, but the usual white mold. I have never seen it also get on the soil which is my major concern. The seedlings are young and look good.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
never seen anything like that, you using the same vendor for your pots? if so can you contact them and see if anyone else is having the same problem.
bet your county coop extension could help...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm more on the side of "don't panic" and they may survive. most fungi are not an issue with plants. now, for some reason, you may have one of the ones that is, but i don't see it really doing damage in your pictures (if it was don't you think it'd be doing it by now?)... so i'll go with "not likely a problem just looks funky"...