Need Ideas for Shade Garden

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have tried growing calla lilies and hydrangea in this shady spot but the flowers of the lilies reach way out towards the light and they grow crooked. The area gets almost no sun light. The abutilon on the left gets a little sun and is doing well. I've tried growing another one towards the right but it is too dark.

I've come to the conclusion that I need some type of hardscape. I don't want a small paved area/patio because it would not get used. I do have a small little boy fountain that I could move there but feel it needs to be surrounded by plants.

Any suggestions as to what I should do here? Anything that is about 3' tall that would grow in shade?

Thank you for your help!

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just realized I didn't post the picture. Duh
IMG_0522.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Bay, I looked there but need something more like a small shrub. Hostas I can only grow in pots for some reason. Snails devour them when in the ground. They are still pretty low though and I'd like something taller, around 3ft. -4 ft. r so.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don't like ferns? Com'ere...:smack

Oh! I just thought of one that will grow in deep shade, Sun King aralia. It's a beautiful bright green that brightens shady spots. I don't know if goes dormant in your zone. Here it dies back in the fall and re-emerges in the spring. Probably not what you want is something that disappears in the winter though....
sCo_hmmthink.gif

How about Sweetbox? I've never grown it, but it's supposed to have a wonderful fragrance in the winter. It's evergreen and the rightish height.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A fernery all different shape I suggested this last night but never hit submit button. Mary look at Japanese painted fern. Aftermidnight posted a link to copper mesh she puts down for slugs.

Latest posts