Neighborhood Kids

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, I thought I'd share this with all of you.

A few months ago, when we started building our chicken coop, the hammering and sawing an drilling attracted a few neighborhood kids. This was great! Free labor! Well over the course of several weeks they helped us put the coop together and do the small things (like climb roofs) that we couldn't or wouldn't do. Naturally I rewarded them with all the iced tea, lemonade, fruit and sandwiches they could drink and eat.

When we first introduced them to the chickens it was an amazing thing. Most of these kids have never even been out of the city, having lived in multi-story apartment buildings with a 10'x10' grassy area to play in. They played with the chickens, the fed them and just had a good time.

The biggest problem I was having though is they would jump the fence to get into our yard and would sometimes trample through the herb garden. I had to explain to them that we were growing things for ourselves to eat and they needed to more careful. Their eyes widened, "you mean you can grow stuff, here?!?!" So I went through this whole thing about explaining all the vegetable plants we had growing in the yard and how they grow and how we harvest them. The more I talked to them about it the more they wanted to know. Finally one kid said that he wanted to grow something. So I went into the house and brought out most of our seeds and told them they could pick anything and I'd pot it and they could take it home. Cherry tomatoes, onions, corn, marigolds, carrots and bell peppers were the selected seeds.

So I found a bunch of pots big enough for the plants they wanted, filled them with a soil mixture, explained to them how seeds work and how they should be taken care of and let them sow away. They all thanked me and took their pots home to grow them.

The other day I was pulling into the drive way and one little girl comes running from her house yelling, "One sprouted! One sprouted!" I congratulated her and told her to keep it moist and keep turning the pot to make sure it gets sun on all sides.

I'm not sure if they will get much from their seeds or how well they'll grow but the kids see to enjoy them and it keeps them busy!

Just thought I'd share.

-Carlos

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What a great story, Carlos! Kids and plants are such a natural marriage and I think it's really sad when city kids lose that natural connection. Sometimes all it takes is a patient person to walk them through the steps and it appears as if you did a great job with that!

Do you have any extra space in your garden? Even one 4' raised bed could become a wonderland for these kids if they could feel as if they could care for it themselves. Or, maybe they can grow items in pots amongst the 10 X 10 piece of grass.

Either way, what a wonderful feeling to be able to pass that along to these kids. They'll grow up and move away, but what you gave them may very well last them a lifetime. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bless you for spreading the seeds of gardening and raising animals for food to children!!! That is a wonderful post and I applaud your patience with the kids....they will never forget this! :bouquet

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks you guys, the kids are great, very helpful.

Backyard Buddies said:
Do you have any extra space in your garden? Even one 4' raised bed could become a wonderland for these kids if they could feel as if they could care for it themselves. Or, maybe they can grow items in pots amongst the 10 X 10 piece of grass.
I was thinking giving them one of the raised beds and I suggested that to them but they wanted to take it home. Maybe later. Who knows.

Beekissed said:
That is a wonderful post and I applaud your patience with the kids
haha...sometimes I think they have a lot more patience than I do. They just need to be given the chance sometimes, too many times we forget that kids in the inner-city just need an outlet. For a minute there I thought I was back substitute teaching at the middle schools again.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You are a good person for getting to know the kids first and giving them a chance instead of just assuming that they were only up to no good. This might end up really making a difference in one of those kid's life.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Great story, especially because I'm familiar with many parts of Oakland similar to what you are describing.

I hate to keep harping on you about this, but you really could have a win-win-win situation with these kids and the idea we discussed when you came by the house. Sorry to bring it up again, but it is how I think (all day / all night) and hate it when there are opportunities left untapped! An opportunity to grow their minds in a few different areas! ;)

But either way, you and the kids are having a great time so keep up the great work!

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That is a great story, please keep us updated on the progress of the kids and their plants.

Nancy

bamagirl68

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with children who would have never had the opportunity. Maybe their parents will even become interested and your neighborhood will be become a Victory Garden!!! Extra kudos to you!

Latest posts