Nephew Gave Me A Good Laugh

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This weekend my nephew and his friend asked me if they could clear some brush and plant a garden. I said don't even think your going to plant pot. Nope they think there going to make a lot of money growing pumpkins :lol::lol::lol::lol:. Much better then there idea of selling eggs. I am betting they give up before even clearing the land.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sell a few punkins ...

It would be a tuff row to hoe to make very much money! The vines take up so much room ... I hope it's a BIG piece of ground under that brush.

Later this year, they can get a punkin sign and sit off the side of the road in the company of all those punkins! Here's an idea!!! Tell them that waaaay too many people never get around to carving Jack o'Lanterns, altho, I bet that's a prime reason for them to buy the silly punkins. Sure, you see them all over the place, uncarved and sitting on somebody's frontdoor steps. Spend a couple days with a knife and sell 'em as Jack o'lanterns!

digitS'

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I like my pumpkins uncarved. To me they are a celebration/decor of fall not necessarily Halloween.

If they cut pumpkins, they're going to have to sell them fast. They don't last long when they've been carved.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
From what Alex said the nephews probably won't last long either. :hide

Give them an area that isn't that visible so you don't care what happens to it or what it looks like. Encourage them, give them the opportunity, don't push them, but kind of keep an eye on them. This could become an adventure.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they have any talent at painting silly faces, they could paint the pumpkins instead of carving.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
let the western states grow the dope, till ny allows it..... just think about every high raise in the new york city metro will have a roof top "green space".
:lol:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
how bout mini pumpkins! i've had lots of luck with the little ones growing in small spaces. i would get about 10-12 off 1 vine. they would also grow up the nearest tree if i didn't keep them in check. it happened 1 year when i still lived with my parents. had one climb a small birch tree & still had some pumpkins growing in the tree by end of season.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Trust me, I laughing with you. This should be better than 3 stooges.

Everyone sees the prices in farm markets, grocery stores, etc and thinks I can make a lot of $$$$$. Then reality, finding ground, preparing ground, price of seeds, weeding, harvesting, losing retailers cut. Finding out retailer has no reason to switch venders unless you want to give your crop away. Thinking, I'll sell them myself, you get paid about $1/hour when all is said and done-that is if animals or diseases don't get your pumpkins first.

Keep us in the loop. Loved the show Green Acres......

Latest posts