nest material for hens

warren

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What can I grow that will produce nesting material for my two hens, and when should I plant it? The temperatures are around 0-10C at the moment and we expect it to go up to 20-30C in the summer. We have plenty of rain usually.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What about just letting some of your grass grow as tall as it will get, 'haying' it with a weedwhacker (or scythe if you are of that sort), drying and turning it in the windrow as if it were hay, then piling it in a small but proper haystack (or storing indoors, where it will become a major mouse warren but the lower parts will compost less).

Pat

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens that is a great idea, in the woods behind my house I have lots of tall wild grasses that are now totally dry. I have been gathering it up and cutting it up a bit and tossing it in the run and it is good for keeping their feet a bit dryer. they like to play in it also.

I have to hurry because they are about to burn it off and then there will not be any soon. But I like it. I also use it for covering new seedlings, like spinach it protects it from the sun.

sunflowerMK

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi
I use shredded paper for my nest boxes. I also use it in my worm bins and as a weed barrier in between my garden rows. I don't shred any slick ad papers and tear out plastic windows in the envelopes.
Have a Beautiful Day.
MaryKay

Latest posts