New babies

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dew and I got tired of fighting the flock last year and gave all of the birds to a local fellow. I warned him that there was probably more than one egg eater in the bunch. He has several coops and is better able to identify the trouble makers.

We're starting from scratch today with 14 straight run speckled Sussex chicks. Two of them are in trouble and probably won't survive the night. If they die I'll take them back to Tractor Supply for replacements.

Right now all are in a makeshift brooder in the coop. All butts have been cleaned and they are drinking.

Interestingly enough, Dew has given me permission to look at other chicks butts!

We'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
OmGosh, sorry! Can I give you some advice that might help, from my own mistakes?
1) Keep them super warm! Monitor so that they aren't baking, but I lost 1/2 of my batch of roosters last Fall because they weren't warm enough. Late winter/early Spring is really too cold to care for baby chicks. The farm supply stores sell them early--locally they had chicks Here in January!!
2) Put paper towels OR, like I use, old bath towels down on top of the shavings for a good 2-3 weeks. They will eat Anything, and consuming pine shavings is how they get pasty butt. I switched my bedding to covering because I thought I was torturing them using q-tips and baby oil to clean them.
Once they are about 1 month old pasty butt no longer is a problem.
Wishing you luck. :hugs
Even though we eat our adult birds (and 2 month old roosters that we raise), I want them to have a good life.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dew and I got tired of fighting the flock last year and gave all of the birds to a local fellow. I warned him that there was probably more than one egg eater in the bunch. He has several coops and is better able to identify the trouble makers.

We're starting from scratch today with 14 straight run speckled Sussex chicks. Two of them are in trouble and probably won't survive the night. If they die I'll take them back to Tractor Supply for replacements.

Right now all are in a makeshift brooder in the coop. All butts have been cleaned and they are drinking.

Interestingly enough, Dew has given me permission to look at other chicks butts!

We'll get some pictures up tomorrow.
Son and DH had chickens delivered Tuesday. I have yet to get down to see them at son's place. Maybe this weekend while they are still cute and fluffy!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you ever ask your neighbor about his speckled Sussex?
No; I have never caught him out in the yard when I am up that way. I didn't figure it would sit well to knock on his door and ask about his chicken. He and my DH had a slight difference of opinion about who should mow what, years ago, and we have not really been neighborly since.
I am just glad to see that the chicken is alive, and not eaten by marauding dogs, which I had thought was the case.
These Sussex don't run away initially. Their first instinct is to hunker down, and make good snacks. :rolleyes: