New baby chicks

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have 5 new Lavender Orpingtons after many very poor hatches. Just happy at this point to get some live chicks here is my 9 month old grandson, Landon, meeting the chicks.
7100_chicks.jpg

7100_landon_petting_chicks.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, they are already so beautiful, Cat! :love

I can't wait to see how pretty they are when they grow out.

How cute they are all cuddled together in the bowl. Your grandbaby is so cute too. My toddler would have been crying from being denied the fun of squeezing them like lil' squeaky toys. :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't say which is more cute... So funny that he thought the chicks were scary! How are you going to keep them warm? Getting kind of cold by you, I imagine...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They have been in the house for 2 weeks. Today I put them outside in a small house heated with a 100 watt light bulb. It will get down to 57 degrees tonight so I am not worried. Once it gets in the 30's they will survive overnight if the bulb should burn out. That is not yet predicted in the near future weather. I have to keep them inside the chick house until they are quite large anyway because of my OWN cats. One cat came to see the action immediately after I brought them outside. He had that, "Don't worry, I won't eat them." look on his face. Thanks we think he is cute too.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are not my birds shown here, but they look just like mine. We have had a hard time hatching them due to bad thermometers, bad incubators, or we would not normally have chicks at this time of the year. It has been sad and frustrating. 8 chicks after many poor hatches. A small time breeder told me he had a tough time with hatching them. We now have 15 birds including the chicks. They have a real nice temperament and are good layers. The are not great meat birds as you must skin them due to the color of the skin. I was told by a BYC member that her soup had a gross color when she didn't skin them, so I do not know of this first hand. I skinned them for soup birds.
7100_lavender_orpingtona.jpg

Latest posts