New greenhouse garden shed combo (Done!)

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Under construction! It's also the well house, which means it already has power. Very convenient. :)

Most of the steep front roof will be clear (Lexan) panels. It's not a 'real' greenhouse, but we wanted to enlarge the well house and I didn't want *another* structure out there, so we combined them into a 10x20 structure.

I found it in one of those glossy books you see at the home improvement shops, the ones with just enough instructions so you think, "Oh, we could build that ourselves, no problem!" And then we pondered that idea for a while, and called the guy who has done excellent work on some other projects around here. Three days and ~poof~ it'll be done, and DH and I will still be on speaking terms.

original.jpg

Here it is finished:

133390877.jpg

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just wonderful!!! That is a life changing greenhouse! Can't wait to hear how that extends your growing season. Keep posting pics- so we can see how fabulous it looks finished!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There you go, Wendy :cool:!

What are you thinking of? Will a bench stand against the short wall, under the clear panels? That would allow for storage under the bench.

Light penetration during the winter should be all the way to be the back wall. You could put shelves for plants on that wall.

If you had extended your "steep front roof" all the way to the ground, the building would look a good deal like my greenhouse ;). I have a very low front bench and a high bench in the center. I can also put plants under that high bench with plenty of light, at least towards the front.

Steve :)

ETA: and . . . yours is 1 foot wider than mine.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
I found it in one of those glossy books you see at the home improvement shops, the ones with just enough instructions so you think, "Oh, we could build that ourselves, no problem!" And then we pondered that idea for a while, and called the guy who has done excellent work on some other projects around here. Three days and ~poof~ it'll be done, and DH and I will still be on speaking terms.
Paying someone else to do it so you can maintain your marital bliss....worth it's weight in gold! :lol:

Can't wait to see the finished project! :cool:

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
There you go, Wendy :cool:!

What are you thinking of? Will a bench stand against the short wall, under the clear panels? That would allow for storage under the bench.
The front wall is 4', and it will be 2' solid (T1-11) and then 2' clear (Lexan). The Lexan then goes 6' up the roof 'front', up to the cross pieces you can see in the new picture (I replaced it in the original post). The low winter sun should hit the back wall, but we'll have to see.

Yes, there is supposed to be a bench against that front wall. We'll probably wait to do anything permanent until we see how the light works. That and we need to re-do all the plumbing for the shallow well in there -- I'm getting a (manual) pitcher pump so I'll still have water if the power is out. And because I want one. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
. . . I'm getting a (manual) pitcher pump so I'll still have water if the power is out. And because I want one. :)
You mean like this one, Wendy ;)?

002.JPG

it's a little dusty but has never been used or even mounted on anything . . . probably cost twice its value to ship from 1 corner of the country to the other . . .

S'