New member from Ithaca, NY

AllieOak

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi.
This looks like a really great site. I found you by searching about what to do if dahlia bulbs had already started sprouting. Not time to plant annuals here in Upstate New York. There were very helpful answers to my question from TEG members. I am going to plant the sprouting ones in a big pot indoors and hope for the best. We normally cannot count on being frost free until Memorial Day, though that is variable these days.
My main interest is planting perennials, some native, but I like to put annuals in pots around my patio and in the gardens where there is little color during the summer.
Looking forward to exploring the TEG website and meeting other gardeners!
AllieOak, AKA, Alice

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome
good to meet you! if you have a question feel free to ask away! you'll get plenty of good answers here. just try to keep us on track if the thread gets a little hijacked. :p

AllieOak

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:welcome
good to meet you! if you have a question feel free to ask away! you'll get plenty of good answers here. just try to keep us on track if the thread gets a little hijacked. :p

Hi. Thanks for your welcome! By your member name, I take it you have chickens. The only birds I have are the ones at the feeders, but my daughter has four chickens, is part of a pilot program in the city of Ithaca to allow chickens within the city. She's the vegetable gardener. I just grow flowers and such. Plants are my pets! I really miss them in the winter. It has been exciting to see many shoots poking up and some crocus blooming. Yay!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi AllieOak ! Welcome!
I'm growing dahlias for the first time this year.
I'm potting them up indoors and letting them get some good growth on them so they'll bloom earlier.
Sounds like that's what you're doing also.

AllieOak

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi AllieOak ! Welcome!
I'm growing dahlias for the first time this year.
I'm potting them up indoors and letting them get some good growth on them so they'll bloom earlier.
Sounds like that's what you're doing also.

Hi thistlebloom! I haven't grown them in a long time myself. Found some tubers on sale and put them in a cool, dark place. Almost forgot where they were!
Yes, I'm potting them up indoors. Hope they will be happy until I can get them outdoors.
Where do you live?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! Please put your location in your avatar. It really helps when you ask questions, because climate makes a difference in how we answer. What works for me, might not work for you. Really glad to have you here!

Latest posts